German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has been visiting from Louisiana over the Thanksgiving holiday. She grew up in a house hold of animals, and even showed Aussies through out her 4-H career. But before this weekend, she was very timid when it came to Hondo. She said he made her nervous.

While she was visiting I made it a point for her to do a lot on interaction with Hondo. He isn't a bad boy, he just isn't an easy dog to read.

Yesterday, I came home from work early - nursing a bad cold and finally went to the doctor - and found the house in a total wreck. I mean it was messier than a soup sandwich. Dog toys through out the house....my daughter's bed sheets in the hall way....couch pillows all through the house (even on my bed!)..... stuffed animals everywhere (they weren't Hondo's toys, they were mine!).....ect.

So I walked in and stated, "What the heck (didn't use that actual word) is going on?" Hondo ran to the sliding glass window and sat, like he wanted to go outside and my daughter (blinking her eyes innocently at me) stated, "We were just playing."

My daughter laughs easily, which is nice but it's one of those loud braying, high pitched laughs that drives you insane. Apparently Hondo found it very interesting and he learned that if he mouths her feet she becomes uncontrollable. So all morning they were chasing eachother throughout the house, him going for her feet and her throwing anything and everything at him. Her bed sheets were her attempt at covering her feet, to which Hondo just took the bed sheets and ran. I asked her why she didn't put some shoes on and she stated plainly that then it wouldn't have been any fun.

Hondo doesn't...or didn't...mouth anything. She said she was playing with his toys on the floor and he was pulling on a toy when he reached over and mouthed her foot. At that point the game was on. I guess he was telling her she was alright by him, and she was telling him I am your new human squeaky toy.

Well, she left to go back home this morning. I'm hoping to get my normal semi-couch potatoe dog back this evening. I'm not big on being mouthed and I'm not anybodys squeaky toy.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I can honestly see how she thought that was fun, because I probably would have done that too when I was younger. :blush:

But I hope that game doesn't get Hondo into biting you or taking your sheets and running away with them. :crazy:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
what do mean you're hoping to get your
semi couch potato dog back? has Hondo tried to play with you
in the manner he was playing with your daughter? he knows
how to play with you and how you two play together. i can understand
not liking being mouthed but that doesn't matter
because they're going to do it anyway whether we like it or not. :).
being a GSD owner i think you should know just as it's important
to train and socialize i think it's equally important to accept our roles as a squeaky toy. :crazy:.

Well, she left to go back home this morning. I'm hoping to get my normal semi-couch potatoe dog back this evening. I'm not big on being mouthed and I'm not anybodys squeaky toy.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, DD - I get your point. Hondo plays with me differently then the Hubby as well.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Well..while the mouthy thing isn't so hot..its good that they are friends now!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts