German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids love beef jerky, and I bought some recently that both my dog and cat are obsessed with. Do you think it will hurt the dog as an occasional treat? It is organic and contains only beef, cane sugar, soy sauce (soy and salt), alcohol (I assume this is cooked off, as it is sold next to other snack foods that anyone can buy), organic natural flavors (that’s the one that concerns me, as it’s vague. Lots of things are natural.), and powdered organic pineapple.

Is soy okay for dogs? Pineapple? And then there are those “organic natural flavors”.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Anything that is highly processed is never good for you or your dog, and that applies to jerky as well. Jerky that has a lot of preservatives, spices, added flavors or pepper will almost certainly upset your dog’s stomach. The biggest issue with feeding jerky to your dog, however, revolves around the sodium levels.

Salt is very hard on a dog’s system. While small levels of salt are necessary to maintain good health, high-salt diets can lead to sodium poisoning. In addition to excessive thirst and urination, salt poisoning can cause vomiting, diarrhea, muscle spasms, fluid buildup, increased heart rate and a whole host of other symptoms – including death. For these reasons, if you’re looking to share your jerky with your dog, you should stick to natural jerky that is free of any added preservatives, spices or salt.

There is quality jerky for dogs out there. So long as it’s a pure, naturally dehydrated, single source protein, your dog can chow down on as much beef, bison, venison or elk jerky his or her heart desires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts