German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry about the length, just want to get my point across accurately and describe the situation in as much detail as possible....

I think my dog is starting to develop aggression issues. The other day a neighbor was over who my dog had met before, however he had never been inside the house. when he came in my dog was fine for a minute, then started barking. I told him to leave it and to lay down, he did as instructed. The nieghbor wasn't being loud, acting in a crazy, or aggressive manner, the dog just started barking and growling a bit.

Then once again, earlier this evening, my roommates' mother and younger step sister stopped by unannounced, being the nice guy I am I let them in. They were fawning over my dog and my friends beagle/basset mix kind of being loud and doing the dumb talking to a puppy/baby voices that some people do, same thing... barking growling a little, told him to leave it, lay down he did as instructed once again

This is not the first time he's been around other people, I generally have people over and he is normally fine, even with groups of 5-7 complete strangers hanging out in the living room/kitchen being loud and carrying on, as well as petting him and the other dog. This is a new thing and I am unsure as to what to do aside from telling him to stop (leave it is my command) and to lay down. I'd like to nip the problem in the bud, pardon the pun, before it becomes an issue. Like I said this is totally new and was a big suprise to me.

A little background on my dog-2 year old male, neutered, got him from a rescue a little over a year ago, no issue with human aggression before the other day, minor issues with other dominant dogs, which I have handled.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just spamming to keep it on the active topic page.... or ya know we can talk about cute puppy names and such.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It looks like you've had a lot of views but nobody knows how to answer - maybe try PM'ing to one of the really experienced people? (I think Carmspack is brilliant.) Good luck

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's really hard to say without seeing the behavior in person. :/ I don't think most people are comfortable addressing aggression simply over a small chunk of text over the internet. If you're worried about possible aggression issues it's always best to get in contact with a local trainer.

My boy used to have a hard time warming up to some guests, I found correcting it only made it worse for us, he would become silent when corrected but it did not help his mistrust at all. (As they say, appreciate warnings) I started counter conditioning him to guests, doing LAT (marking and rewarding him every time he looked at them). We'd gradually get closer and I'd give him treats for letting them pet him or for willingly interacting in a relaxed manner. I've done the same for him just sitting in his bed as well. We don't have an issue at all anymore.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Sometimes it can be a physical health issue (and sometimes hard to find/figure out!) when it happens out of the blue.

You can also check out the shy k9 group on Yahoo to see if there may be things there to help - their archive is really good and applies to all dogs.

Across a Threshold - Whole Dog Journal Article

Like was said, hard to figure it out or feel good addressing it online. The best thing is to have a trainer/behaviorist and my recommendation is always to use/find someone who uses positive methods.

He sounds like a nice boy though!!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Like the others, it's hard to say.
I'd be quite surprised, however, that your dog would be developing an aggression issue at his age-just out of the blue. It's possible, but not too likely. I'd look for other reasons.
Was there something else going on that day that could have been stressing him out? Do you think he was just at his limits and not wanting strangers in his territory that day? Could he be feeling poorly? ...there are many possibilities as to why he would be showing displeasure at the situation you described. Like someone else said, always appreciate the fact that he was letting you know how he felt first-instead of just attacking or biting. Growling and whatnot is not behavior you want to punish aside from a firm 'no'.He sounds like a great dog, I'd try and rule out other possibilities before assuming it's an aggression problem...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
With this behavior just starting to happen - first have a check up done, full blood work. Locate an experienced behaviorist in your area - With GSD experience. This may or may not be HA, but getting professional eyes on the dog will help determine that - and they will ask about the check up and blood work results.

Some dogs just do not like the baby talk and respond inappropriately. The same with someone leaning over them. Think back over both occurrences and remember as many of the details as you can, even write them down to have available for when you speak with the behaviorist.

Your boy does sound wonderful though, like others have said. It may be you just need to learn some new techniques to handle and help him through uncomfortable meetings like this.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I will be the outlier:). At 2 years old, he could just be "coming into himself" to put it nicely. May behavior issues get worse (or as with chewing, get better) around 1.5-2 years.
I would make sure guests do not mess with him. Before they come in, make sure they know to ignore him, no touch, eye contact or silly baby voice. He should likely be leashed and you stand, hold his leash, talk to your guests while maintaining a sit. Reward him (small yummies) while he maintains sit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the help, ya he is super obedient. Listens to just about everything I tell him to do. I've been working with him, reinstated NILIF (I got a little lazy with it). I think with my roommate's mom it was the leaning over and the baby talk, which I am not a fan of and I don't ever do. We actually had some people over this weekend, and he was his usual aloof, well behaved self. I actually moved about 2 months ago to a new city, so he's had a lot of stuff that's probably unusual to him happening, including a lot of new people. After a few days of doggie boot camp he seems to be responding well, so I'll keep it up and if it continues down that road I'll visit a trainer. BTW, I recently moved from OKC area to Fayetteville, AR. I know they have a Shutzhund (spelling?) club around here that does alot of obedience training as well. I've been thinking of checking that out, but do not know if I really have the time to invest that it requires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts