German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm feeling low, and Emma was so sad and hurting yesterday when we brought her home from the vet.

We took her to our old vet. I was not comfortable with the new one I found close by. he was very good explaining the procedure and pos operative issues, especilly keeping the incision clean and not letting her lick or bite at the stitches.

They went over all the options and care before the operation. I opted for the blood work and the IV which were optional. She had a wellness check a few weeks ago with him. At that visit she growled and barked at him, This time she was all wiggles and kisses when he checked her over before the procedure. Cost was just over $300

About 2 hours after dropping her off the Vet called to let me know how it went. He had an issue with bleeding that did correct itself. He asked if she could have gotten into any rat poison. I don't have any out, so I said no.
He then went over that she was waking up and responding to the care and doing very well - perking up and wanting attention.

I will be checking around as the previous owner may have had some out I have not found, or she could have picked some up on our walks through the fields. The farmers around here poison prairie dogs.

Anyway, wife picked her up and when I went to get her out of the back of her escape she looked so sad, wearing her cone. I cradled her gently, (behind back legs and chest) but I could tell she did not want to be picked up. She was very tired and slept on the kitchen floor on her belly. The cool floor probably felt good.

Today she is almost herself, pushing me and everything around with her cone. However she is getting better. We took it off for her to eat and she ate good this morning.

But I had to laugh. A few minutes minutes ago she got a drink with the cone on. She had it totally over the bowl on the floor and was happily slurping away. She also used it to flip the food dish to eat :eek::D

Right now she is sound asleep:wub:

I have a feeling keeping her calm over the next days will be tough

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm glad your girl is well and recovering. I just posted about Dexter's neuter surgery that's going on today. We're paying close to $800 for surgery and X-rays, interesting how much the prices vary. Did you guys go for laser or traditional surgery?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the clinics here (major company owned) uses a laser $$$$$, but I went traditional. I have used this vet before for 6 years with Buddy (RIP), so went basic. Curious - what were the X-rays are for?

Emma is getting better and in more trouble than I can stand :crazy:. She wants to play so bad and roughhouse, which is a No-No. She mowed me down with the collar this afternoon from behind. Trying to keep her calm is a real problem. I guess I'll dig out a new soup bone for her:D That should be a real challenge with the cone on.

I went to Sam's today and got a case of Top Sirloin to cut up into steaks. She got a treat in her bowl of some good meaty scraps - no fat though. Boy did she go for that. She has figured out how to eat and drink with the cone on :D

Any thought on quiet play games? She gets so wound up so easily. I tried just rolling the ball to her on the carpet, but she kept throwing it in the air and trying to run after it. I hate to crate her and the cone wont really fit in the crate. Right now she is beside the couch sleeping.

Thanks for any ideas.......... Keith

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dexter had sirloin today as well. :) I guess, I just had to make myself feel better. We had his hips and elbows X-rayed today, since he was under. While his elbows are great, his left hip shows mild dysplasia. I will have to follow up on that.

I got Dexter new chew toys, more antlers and bully sticks to keep him busy. Soup bone sounds pretty good, I should have thought of that. I don't know of any quiet games either, hopefully somebody will be able to help with some ideas. He's still pretty sleepy, so at least I don't have to worry about his energy level today.

In regards to the laser, his incision is very small compared to the traditional neuter that my Lab had done. Dexter wasn't even given a collar, since he's not licking the wound. Knocking on wood for a speedy recovery for both, Emma and Dexter. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if they checked for Von Willebrand's. I did opt for the blood work. Not sure what they checked for.

She got us up a 5 today wanting to pee/poop and play. She is 100% back to herself. I had to laugh this morning as she manager to get Daffy Duck (a chew toy) stuck in her cone - don know how she did it. I just heard a lot of banging of the cone on stuff. My guess is she tossed it.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
You will want to have them send her blood out to a lab that does the von Willebrand's test - really important to do, and then to have a careful interpretation of the levels and information that is received back. I am not sure if a clotting factors test would give more information but that can be sent out too - I believe they are two different tests, 1 more genetic, 1 more something that is done for some surgeries like liver surgeries.

Coagulation Tests | VCA Animal Hospitals I would want them all done - I am guessing.

I would want to know in case she bloats, has an accident, etc, in the future. In a GSD I would imagine vWD would be more common than rat poisoning?

Glad she is feeling well!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
. She is 100% back to herself. I had to laugh this morning as she manager to get Daffy Duck (a chew toy) stuck in her cone - don know how she did it. I just heard a lot of banging of the cone on stuff. My guess is she tossed it.
Mine was like this. I actually checked to make sure the incision was there. She never had the cone, never licked the area, and was ready to go the next day.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Emma needs the cone. When the cone is off she tries to lick. Incision has a slight irritation to it today - normal per vet. Emma seems happy though.

Ill talk to the vet about the blood work. Thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
No matter how much Emma gives you them puppy dog eyes, leave that cone on. I made this mistake before. No matter what leave that cone on :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts