German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I've had my female GSD for a little over 1.5 years now. It's mostly gone great, she gets plenty of exercise and is well behaved in the house and in public. An issue that came up over the past month or two is a huge amount of energy she gets every single night! Throughout the day I'll take her for walks, play fetch/tug, do some basic nosework and she'll lay quietly near me between all of those activities. The problem comes later at night around 9-10pm, when the house is winding down, she'll be whining, pawing at the door, barking and climbing on me trying to play. I'll usually go outside, she'll pee, I'll toss the ball for her, then when she comes in I'll do some training games/nosework, but even after that she'll be pawing at the door and barking at any noise she hears. It's unfortunate because the only way I can get her to calm down and be quiet is by making her go in her crate which has rarely been needed for several months leading up to this issue. Once she is in her crate she usually immediately calms down and sleeps through the night.

Is that anything I can be doing to keep her relaxed towards the night time? Being proactive (playing with her around 7-8pm) has worked albeit inconsistently. She still can be very hyper just an hour or two later.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I've got nothing to offer other than to say this is very, very common: we call it "9 o'clock zoomies."

With some dogs, you can set a clock by it -- we're nicely settled, and watching TV or reading, then at 9PM--- bam!

Mine have mostly gotten over it as they're now 5-12 years old, but the 5-year-old will still do it if we've got a younger foster dog in the home. DH and I just shrug and let them get it over with. They'll be ready for bed once they get it out of their system.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
hahahaha the 9 Oclock zoomies :) LOL LOL

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
That would be normal for young pups, meaning 'crate time'. But your dog is over a year old and you have rewarded the rude behavior by letting her out to pee and PLAY. No wonder she wants to go outside at nine because you have taught her that you wil play after peeing. You are well trained!
Next time, take charge: crate her as soon as she bugs you. 30 minutes later, given that she is calm, outside on leash (to avoid too much attention), pee and crate for the night. If she doesn't pee, she has a problem for only that one night (they learn fast) Sweet dreams.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I agree with Wolfy on this one. It sounds like you have trained her to want to go outside and play at that time. If every time she starts whining at 9:00 you jump up and play, she's learned that that is what happens. That is the routine.

I think you need to start ignoring that behavior and rewarding calm behavior. Stick her in her kennel with a frozen kong if you have to. Or if you must, be preemptive. If she gets restless at 9:00, start playing with her and doing your training at 8:00. That way she doesn't learn that behaving that way gets the attention. It sounds like you want to get rid of that behavior though, so you just need to get her in a different routine.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
First of all take into account that at that time of night it is now starting to cool off. GSD's in general seem not fond of heat.
That said my current dog does it and all previous dogs have done it.
I have a few easy cues for my dogs, that just help keep us on the same page. I do training and exercise earlier, around 7 or 8. I also when I take them out at 10 or so tell them "bedtime pee". That is a signal that this is a pee break only. I do not play, I don't talk to them and I don't allow them to break that. If they get goofy it's into the crate.
That said it's Thursday, I'm watching Street Outlaws, so in about 30 minutes Shadow should start bugging me. Lol.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Every dog I've had did the 9 o'clock zoomie thing. I'd think something were wrong with them if they didn't!

I don't reward or dissuade the behavior because they grow out of it "usually" LOL! I say that because on occassion my last dog still did that at 10 once in awhile, and it's just fun to watch!

But, of course, if you prefer proper behavior...it probably could be stopped.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Every dog I've had did the 9 o'clock zoomie thing. I'd think something were wrong with them if they didn't!
Wow, I guess I got lucky! None of mine have ever done that. They have had zoomies throughout the day but never at night like this.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Wow, I guess I got lucky! None of mine have ever done that. They have had zoomies throughout the day but never at night like this.
Yeah, it isn't a daily thing, but 2 or 3 times a week. Last night I took Nyx out at almost 11 pm, and she was ripping around the backyard growling and running while playing with a bone she'd rediscovered recently - and she's nearly 19 months now! I always miss it when they stop!

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Shadow is almost 8, she still does it 2-3 times a week. We refer to it as the 9pm couch vaulting event, but always, always, always, on frikkin' Thursdays!

Sabs and I always loaded up sometime between 4-6. First few hours she was a model citizen other then the occasional roar at the odd wandering crack head. But right around 9pm she would amuse herself "certifying" passing cars for about half an hour. Any idea what a jolt it can be when a big dog lets out random barks 2 inches from your head? If that does not impact your driving nothing ever will.

Bud liked to run around like his tail was on fire tossing random objects into the air and smashing into obstacles(people) like we were playing bumper cars. I learned to move quickly while laughing and not buy him very heavy toys, because what goes up must come down and Bison bones hurt!

I sort of enjoy the dog house ambiance, and I really don't dedicate much time to training the little hellions. I just ask that they follow the rules, which sadly do not include "Thou shalt not do 9pm zoomies". Perhaps before I get another dog I will address that omission. Probably not.

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
Yes the bewitching hours they get those late night zoomies and early morning ones that are a lot more quiet lol! Max will 4 in late October and still get the zoomies lol!

It’s when I put Luna and max outside and they zoom away. I pay no attention to it otherwise the zoomies get to the maximum in the house. My son just took a video of the beginning of a morning zoom look which is very mild in the early morning hours lol! More of zoom of wanting love in the morning but same kind of look.
https://instagram.com/p/BlIe5h_hLF4/

The face hard to ignore- max is just waiting for an invite!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts