German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And its not another GS. :( He wants to get a Jack Russell.:confused: I have never owned a terrier breed. I'm on the fence about this cause I've dealt with some sweet and some nasty. Does anyone own one besides a GS? I'm not worried about Kane, he gets along with all dogs. My hubbys boss has a couple of them, never met them though. I'm a big dog kind of gal. I don't know..... Any input would be helpful.
Heres Kane, with his girl Pearl. So, I'm not really worried with him with small dogs.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
My friend's grandma had one for almost a year and it bit anyone that came near it, they had to put her to sleep.

My co worker had one for almost 6 months and she described it as "the energizer bunny that mixed energy drinks and cocaine together" she dropped him off at a shelter.

Other than that I dont know anyone that has one and I haven't been around any. But Wishbone was adorable. :wub:

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I am with you, not a small dog person.

As long as your DH is willing to put in the time, energy and care for "HIS" dog, then I see nothing wrong with it.

Oh, and there are some fun things you can try with a JR, such as lure coursing or earth dog, or agility. :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
We adopted one years ago. The people who had the dog 1st couldn't control him, and stated he couldn't be potty trained. He was two when we got him. The rescue sent all of his belongings with him....bed, carrier, toys, clothes, etc. etc. etc. I think this dog was just spoiled to death.

From day 1 he was my hubby's dog. He really liked hubby. Very vocal dog, would growl when you moved him off the furniture or if you moved in the bed and moved him. Growl when you picked him up to put him outside and he didn't want to go...very vocal. We had him nearly 6 years and he NEVER bit anybody. Never even snapped - he was just vocal. He never met a stranger and loved kids. He did have a lot of energy and would fetch a ball until he dropped of heat stroke (nearly did once with the kids). He could shred a new tennis ball in a manner of seconds. But never chewed up anything that didn't belong to him.

He never started a dog fight but certainly wouldn't back down from one either. He was a huge dog in a tiny dog suit. I was ill once and only then did he stick to me like glue. Once I was better, he went back to hubby.

The dog only went to the bathroom in our house once. One night hubby made him mad by taking away a new ball. We all went to bed and as normal the dog slept next to hubby under the blanket. That night I woke up with hubby yelling like a loon. "What the #@ll is this?..What is this?" In his hand he was holding a dog turd. It took him a second to realize what it was before he flung it across the room. The dog had actually pitched a tent UNDER the blanket and pooped right next to hubby. Never in my life have I ever heard of a dog doing that UNDER a blanket. We still tell that story every time we meet someone with a JRT, and they have no doubt the dog did it because he was mad!

The bad side of the dog was that he ate everything that found. Dust balls, bugs..anything. It was very difficult to keep him at a healthy weight. My folks were down visiting and my dad dropped medication he takes for his heart. The dog rushed in and ate as many as he could before my dad could respond. I was in the barn when my mother came to get me. We rushed him to the vet, but it was too late. I know now that a solid "EH!" could have saved him. Now all my dogs know....

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have a JRT and he is awesome. You do have to be really careful - don't get a dog from a pet store or BYB, go to a good breeder. Check the JRTCA site for some good info...
Jack Russell Terrier - JRTCA - Jack Russell Terrier Club of America Home Page

Gizmo is a sweetheart, he loves everyone and I would love to get him into therapy dog work in the future because he just has an awesome personality. He is super smart, and learns things amazingly fast but he's not as willing to work for me as my GSD's unless I have treats :) That's my only complaint about him.
Our GSD's love him and are constantly trying to get him to play but 90% of the time he just ignores them. He is okay with strange dogs, and won't start a fight, but if they start he will try to finish it even if they are 10x his size :p

He has a huge amount of energy but that's not a problem for me, since my GSD's are the same way and I wanted a dog who could keep up with them.

JRT's are not a breed for everyone, and if you really don't like them I would try to talk your husband out of getting one. My husband is pretty flexible and he isn't a small dog person either but he trusted my judgement with Gizmo and he loves him now. But that's not something I'd suggest for everyone! In the spring you could try going to JRTCA shows in your area to meet more JRT's and make contacts with breeders if you decide to get one. But don't rush into anything - a bad JRT is a nightmare!

Here is my little guy, he is 13" and about 15 lbs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a JRT/Fox Terrier mix that is 11 years old. He is still very spunky, alive and can hang with the big boys. They are definitely not for everyone, but he has been very loyal and protective of our family (nobody can come around the house without him knowing).

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
my brother had one....it NEVER stopped running, jumping and acting crazy. I strongly advise against it

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
My friend has a Jack Russell and that little guy is all personality and super fast in agility. He is such a ham...get him in the ring and he is "on." He doesn't like anything better than being in the spotlight. He's a great little dog with the heart of a lion.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I am fine w/ small dogs, but my neighbor's Jack Russle barks non-stop and bites everyone who is not a family member...research this breed carefully!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Ask Lorie (LAHARGE) on here, I think she has several and breeds them.

When I was a kid I always wanted the "Wishbone dog". Now, I don't think I could ever own any type of terrier!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I don't like Jack Russell Terriers as they're so utterly hyper (the JR's I've seen) but that doesn't matter. If it's a breed that you two can BOTH live with happily then go for it.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Just like any breed, there are good and bad JRTs and right and wrong owners for them. The main issue in your situation would be the breed's tendency towards same sex aggression, since you already have a male and female dog. But that isn't to say one couldn't work out for you either.

I think the best resource for the breed is the JRTCA site that was posted earlier in this thread. Especially useful is their online profiler, as interactive Q&A that will help you determine if the breed is suitable for your lifestyle: Jack Russell Terrier: Breed: Jack Russell Online Profiler

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just like any breed, there are good and bad JRTs and right and wrong owners for them. The main issue in your situation would be the breed's tendency towards same sex aggression, since you already have a male and female dog. But that isn't to say one couldn't work out for you either.

I think the best resource for the breed is the JRTCA site that was posted earlier in this thread. Especially useful is their online profiler, as interactive Q&A that will help you determine if the breed is suitable for your lifestyle: Jack Russell Terrier: Breed: Jack Russell Online Profiler
I'm sorry, I should clarify, that the pug in the pic is my mothers dog. :eek: Kane is the only dog at this time. I want to thank you all for you advice, I'll show hubby this thread. I was trying to be diplomatic, and get different opinions. Maybe he'll jump on the bandwagon with the rest of the family and get another GS, but a female. ;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have had mostly mixed breeds, all containing GSD. I also had a miniature poodle, and now an Alaskan Husky ( her line has GSD.) I think if you got one as a puppy you wouldnt have the whole little dog syndrome problem, because you are an experienced dog owner. I had a friend how had a bunch of them and her house was insane, because she wasnt a good owner. They are very energetic and have a pretty high prey drive, so if you decide to get one be prepared for that.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Personally I love JRTs. My little guy is JRT/Rat terrier/Schnauzer mix. He is lively.

They can be good dogs, or they can be hard. They are not couch potatos and almost ALWAYS want to do something. They are hyper, and go go go go. They need mental stimulation and physical exercise, lots of training and lots of socializing.

The problems come from when people get them and don't give them what they need. Like any dog thats not good but I have notices its like it all bottles up until they just explode, and then usually end up getting labled a "bad dog" and usually.

If you do your research and go with a good breeder or rescue then they can be wonderful pets. They are a hoot! And very spunky with big personalities.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Ugh I wouldn't be happy about that. I know some people just love them, but... Why does he want one? Has he spent time with any?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just like any breed, there are good and bad JRTs and right and wrong owners for them. http://www.therealjackrussell.com/breed/jrprofiler.php
Ultimately, it comes down to the same thing we tell people who are looking at GSDs - are you you willing to meet the needs of the breed? JRTs seem to be dogs that need a job. If you, or more accurately your husband, since it's his dog! starts off with a responsible breeder, is willing to put in the hours of training, and give it an outlet for it's drives (agility, earth dog etc), and recognize the realities of the breed (aggression, energy levels over the average 15 years of it's life, etc) then you increase your chances of having a well adjusted dog. Personally, it wouldn't be a breed I would be interested in, but this page http://www.therealjackrussell.com/breed/baddog.php would be enough to put me off if I was thinking about it! Terriers aren't really my thing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I would let your hubby choose the dog he wants, and research the breed so you're familiar with its pros, cons, and quirks. If there is something you absolutely can't live with, talk to him about it and hopefully he will be willing to look into a breed you can both agree on.

My fiance really REALLY wanted a BIG dog. A good friend of his on his dept recently purchased an english mastiff and he has just been in love. We also had a newfie in Dante's puppy class that he loved. We researched a lot of the larger breed dogs and ruled many of the mastiffs out due to questionable temperament. Adopting an adult with unknown background was out of the question with our young son. No rescue we found that looked even semi legit sounded like they'd allow adoptions of adults w/known backgrounds to a home with a baby. He looked at a ton of dogs, adults and puppies. Great danes were high on the list but just too energetic, very short lifespan. He found a newfie lab pup that he just fell in love with. It's not a dog I would've chosen for myself (I like the higher drive more energetic breeds myself) but he wanted a large breed, laid back, male dog. We looked at rotties too which he had previously had, but the temperament with other dogs can be questionable especially since we already have two males. We decided a rott was, more likely than not, taking too big a chance on getting along with the other males through adulthood and they can be very hard headed in both our experiences. He wanted some of the more "exotic" mastiffs but temperament was questionable. The english was just too big for me (and out house and son).

A newfie/lab will still be a BIG fuzzy dog....great temperament, a little drive from the lab and the laid back newfie personality. We negotiated. He got a dog he wanted, and I got one I can live with and enjoy to.

I'd still take my "crazy Mal" anyday though. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts