German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So most of my team at work in our hallway knows we got a puppy, actually we have a puppy fever in our department and most people recently got a dog.

Mine happens to be a shark.

I was making coffee and noticed the HR carefully looking/ screening me lol! I was like omg it's not what you think, I don't cut myself and my husband does not put these bruises on my arms! I have a new puppy.

So she said so do I and nothing like that. I asked her what did you get? She said a Chihuahua. So I had to "Oh! that's like a snack for my puppy" :)

Anyways, it was funny... She said she was glad I told her it was from a pup or she would of tried talking to someone about it LOL. Well I guess I can't be mad, atleast she cares about us.

Anyone ever had this experience? I guess I was shocked over this reaction because when I had a kitten, I could swear my arms looked so much worse.

I can't wait for the shark phase to be over or less. I tried everything. The only thing that works is redirecting that crazy energy to do tricks. He immediately refocuses. I should stop feeding him meals... Just have his food in my pocket all day lol... (nah I would not do that!)

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
You can do that! You can make feeding him work/fun for him, like giving it in a Busy Buddy squirrel or something and get those jaws moving and working. I have a young dog who loves his squirrel and dumbbell (Premier makes them) and he eats half his breakfast and half his supper in them - he loves it so much that even though he's not mouthy anymore, I still use them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haha, my fiancee and I already get looks because our wrists are all slashed up from our cat "playing" with us. He's gotten a lot better, but there are definite scar marks that look similar to cutting. I guess we'll get to enjoy more cuts and bruises with our baby shark in the coming months!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Yes, happened to me plenty of times. Even now that the dogs are adults, I still have bruises, cuts, scratches, etc.

When I had my medical appointment for the Greencard they looked and asked if my husband was abusing me. They took that very serious. I'm expecting to get the "look" on Monday when I go on post to my new primary physician. Now it's actually more my legs rather than my arms. ;)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes! Mine were from a cat, not a dog. Ms. Gigi was an insane little kitten and she left horrible claw marks all over us. My legs and forearms looked a mess!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hehe!

Jean thank you, I was not sure if its bad to have their stomach working all day, but it really helps him forget all about biting. He is super food motivated and becomes the best behaved puppy ever when I have food/treats. He demonstrates in his puppy class.... every time we go there I always want to take THAT puppy back home.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Anyone ever had this experience? I guess I was shocked over this reaction because when I had a kitten, I could swear my arms looked so much worse.

I can't wait for the shark phase to be over or less. I tried everything. The only thing that works is redirecting that crazy energy to do tricks. He immediately refocuses. I should stop feeding him meals... Just have his food in my pocket all day lol... (nah I would not do that!)
Yeah. I actually have a picture of my arms.
I used New Skin liquid bandage to make the slashes heal faster. I used to thank that company every day back then. That stuff sealed the scratches and helped a lot with the pain.
I, too, I have bruises on my arms and legs now, from him bumping into me. Even the tail can cause bruises.
And actually, some puppy training books recommend that you use the kibble for training and never use a bowl.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks sunflower, I am excited =) this might help us allot.

Last night when I was trying to get him to calm down, I was in tears thinking this biting will never stop! he just leaps at me and all i hear it that jaw. He wrinkles his nose and jump attacks! crazy.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The 10 to 14 or 15 wk period was tough for us with the biting, then it improved immensely, then the chewing, but at least he wasn't chewing us as much anymore.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 10 to 14 or 15 wk period was tough for us with the biting, then it improved immensely, then the chewing, but at least he wasn't chewing us as much anymore.
At this point, I don't care what he chews, as long as it's not me!
he is 14 weeks Monday, now when do these teeth fall out???

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Soon. Around 20 weeks they will start coming out. If you pay close attention to your puppy's teeth you might be able to save a few as I did.

I had my hands all over Lisl's mouth every day checking for loose teeth. Sometimes several times a day.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soon. Around 20 weeks they will start coming out. If you pay close attention to your puppy's teeth you might be able to save a few as I did.

I had my hands all over Lisl's mouth every day checking for loose teeth. Sometimes several times a day.
lol it's like grabbing a chainsaw!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol he has so many nicknames, Zeusifer... and thanks to my husband, my dog responds to words that are not allowed to be posted on this forum.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
LOL!! Good thing they cannot learn to talk like a parrot, cause then you guys would be in real trouble... :D

Hang in there...and you just wait, especially when you start more advanced OB classes....he's gonna be the star and you will forget all of this and be very proud.

Lol he has so many nicknames, Zeusifer... and thanks to my husband, my dog responds to words that are not allowed to be posted on this forum.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Neko - Zeus will calm down. Emma is now 19 weeks and doing much better. No new teeth yet - I am looking every day.

I found three things worked to get her to be better in her bite control. One is redirecting if I have a toy handy, if not I gently pinch her mouth lips/gums in at the back of her mouth (at the jaw hinge point) - she will not bight herself. I also use this point in working on a release if she gets stubborn. It is only a gentle squeeze, just enough to move the skin in.

My last resort, and I know folks will disagree is hold the mouth closed by the nose (not hard). Yes at first she thought it was play and would snap back on release, but quickly learned that as I was saying "don't bite" and rewarded the stop behavior with treats and love she is now very good. I can now say don't bite, and she will just nose and lick- well mostly;). Its when she is would up and crazy :crazy:, that she sometimes forgets.

Also as mentioned above, messing with her mouth checking for loose teeth, also works. She now lets me put fingers in, and mover her tong without chomping:D. Of course there is a treat at the end.

I did the look this morning, but forgot the treat. Emma sure let me know about it, and even went over to where I hid the treat bag and barked. She sure is a smart dog

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feedback. Two days ago I did start putting my thumb under his tongue and holding his Jaw. He hates it and backs off, for a second...

I will be feeding him dinner today from my pocket all evening =)

And he has a play date tomorrow, yay!

lol messing with his mouth. You should of seen what it took to clean his ears last night. He actually LIKES when i clean them, but to get to that point where I am gently rubbing the cotton ball in his ear, takes some fighting. He was almost rolling his eyes enjoying it and than 2 min later i had to fight to get to the other ear. What a weird dog!!! lov him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts