German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost 7 months and ears not up they were when he was 3 months but have been down since i tried glueing three weeks ago ears stayed up for 2 days this time his ears fell down right away after them being glued for a few days i re glued this morning how l9ng do u normally keep this up for

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Howvong should i keep his ears glued

Hes actually 7 months and 2 weeks today

·
Registered
856 Posts
I don't think glueing your dog's ears without professional help or guidance will be of much use... I personally do not have experience with this, but my next door neighbour has a GSD that has one ear permanently down. I personally think it's because there was not enough of a calcium : phosphorous balance in the diet during growth, as their dog is exceptionally large for a GSD (they're bred to be 100+lbs). There's a lot of threads on here about how to help ears stand naturally without using glue, and those may be worth looking into. But if you have never glued ears before, I would consult a vet or breeder who has experience with it.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Almost 7 months and ears not up they were when he was 3 months but have been down since i tried glueing three weeks ago ears stayed up for 2 days this time his ears fell down right away after them being glued for a few days i re glued this morning how l9ng do u normally keep this up for
Leave his ears alone and give him stuff to chew on. It is possible that you have slowed the process down by trying to glue them. It is not uncommon for ears to go up and down until they are nearly a year old.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Leave his ears alone and give him stuff to chew on. It is possible that you have slowed the process down by trying to glue them. It is not uncommon for ears to go up and down until they are nearly a year old.
This. And I would not be too surprised if you have inadvertently done more harm than good. Nothing could be less natural that gluing a dog's ears. Give him plenty to chew on and a healthy diet, and his ears will be fine... without any glue.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glue??!! Never heard of that fix. Is it even a thing?

By the way, what food are you giving your pup?
I was giving him beniful but now im giving him lamb and rice pure balance ...and gluing the ears between 6months and seven months in a tea pee shape is supposed to help lazy or soft ears to stand up but I don't thin ill do it any more

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yes, this is a thing. Especially in breeds that get their ears cropped, like dobermans. They actually have to post their ears to get them to stand at all. They have special glues that they use for this exact purpose.

http://www.scwtca.org/documents/edu/glue-ears-kromash.pdf

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant, is it even a thing with GSDs? I know it's done in other breeds like Great Danes and Dobermans, but GSDs? GSD ears naturally stand up and I know there are few that don't. But I didn't think people do the whole ear thing with GSDs. Anyway, thanks. I learned something.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My breeder recommended that if the ears weren't up by 6 months to go and see her and she would use some foam and special glue to help the ears stand - there is a small window of time where you can help between 6-8 months and after that if the ears aren't standing they aren't going to. It isn't unheard of to help the ears to stand - where did you get your puppy from? Perhaps go back to your breeder or vet and ask their advice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried calling her or texting her but she doesnt answer my calls ive asked her about his ears plenty of times but she just says well all the other puppys ears are up so i dont no why ur puppys ears arent and after that havent herd from her since

1 - 11 of 11 Posts