German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a slow start in the philadelphia suburbs for my warm weather plants. The tomatos are just starting to take off. We still need to plant our cucumbers. But our lettuce and peas have been very happy. Been enjoying lettuce for about a month, yum. And the peas are covered with peas and more blossoms for more peas.

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
Just finished planting veggies this week.I was waiting for a good rain so no dragging the hose waaay out to the beds.The peas are doing great!The strawberries are looking very good,lots of blossoms.I didn't mulch them over winter this year which is the recommended method.But when I do they get mildewed and rotten.So I left them alone with excellent results:)
I don't have a big garden,just a couple of raised beds and some large pots.Summer squash,tomatoes,peas,cukes,peppers,strawberries.I love fresh green and wax beans but they don't taste good when I grow them.Taste like grass,yuck!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
It is weedy. I need to seriously weed that thing. I started my tomatoes in the basement in early February. Moved to garden about 3 weeks ago. It has been cold enough that they haven't died but they haven't really took off yet either. Same with peppers. Radishes and onions are being eaten. Will plant the rest Sunday. And weed.
Fruit trees are doing good. This will be the first year they actually produce fruit. 4th year.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just finished planting veggies this week.I was waiting for a good rain so no dragging the hose waaay out to the beds.The peas are doing great!The strawberries are looking very good,lots of blossoms.I didn't mulch them over winter this year which is the recommended method.But when I do they get mildewed and rotten.So I left them alone with excellent results:)
I don't have a big garden,just a couple of raised beds and some large pots.Summer squash,tomatoes,peas,cukes,peppers,strawberries.I love fresh green and wax beans but they don't taste good when I grow them.Taste like grass,yuck!
We only have a few raised beds as well and every year we feel so limited about what we can plant.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dang deer ate it!

I sure enjoyed seeing the deer though... :laugh2:
For some reason deer in our neighborhood like to birth their fawns in the wooded part of our backyard. Usually we have a cute little fawn wandering our yard for a couple weeks until it figures out how to jump our 4 foot fence (or maybe mom says it is okay to go). A couple years ago we had a fawn that could not figure out how to jump the fence and was in our yard for over a month. Thank god we have a 4' fence around the garden because everything else in our yard was eaten.

·
Super Moderator
2,503 Posts
Mine's coming along. Potatoes are almost ready to be hilled for the first time (they're already about 10" above soil level), greens are looking super (chard/kale), celery is huge. Onions are unexpectedly slow. Tomatoes are planted, but nothing exciting yet.

The newer strain of hardy kiwi I'm trial testing survived the winter, which is really exciting. Grape vine has buds.

Strawberries are blooming, and the asparagus is almost done for the year. We've been eating asparagus every their day for a few weeks now, I'm about ready to let it rocket up into ferns and be done for another 11 months. :)

I'm attempting to grow some things vertically, in mounted brackets on my house, this year. That's my newest experiment. So far, I have Stevia (sugar bush), kohlrabi, a new type of chocolate cherry tomato, bay plant, and lemongrass growing on the house. Exciting!

·
Banned
311 Posts
For some reason deer in our neighborhood like to birth their fawns in the wooded part of our backyard. Usually we have a cute little fawn wandering our yard for a couple weeks until it figures out how to jump our 4 foot fence (or maybe mom says it is okay to go). A couple years ago we had a fawn that could not figure out how to jump the fence and was in our yard for over a month. Thank god we have a 4' fence around the garden because everything else in our yard was eaten.
What you have described is an amazing experience to say the least. How fortunate those are that get to have such close encounters with nature. We have fence 6' tall and it does not even phase them BOING in and BOING out! I have always trained the dogs to not bother them PERIOD. It is during hunting season it seems we have the most - I suspect they are hiding from the hunters and their dogs and know that they are not hunted here (I shoot back). We plant food plots for them, but you know the old saying "the grass is greener on the other side". We do have a 5 acre lake with a substantial island on it and the deer walk on a certain shallow path to the island and bed and birth.

We are in the process of buying another 7 acres and it has "electric fence" and the owners say it keeps the deer and other animals Bear, Panthers, Fox, Coyotes & Alligators out and their horses in. That being said, we have discussed the possibility of keeping it for the sole purpose of having our garden within that perimeter. I don't like electricity but geeeeesh one must eat (grin), it is a necessity in life and my budget for organic foods is astronomical IMO.

I wish all here much success with their garden this season. I hope to be back hard at it in the near future.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
It looks like another bumper crop for strawberries and raspberries. we transplanted tomatoes from the greenhouse on Mother's Day. I started some Yukon gold potatoes in March and they're looking good also. I can't wait for fresh tomatoes from the garden.

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
We only have a few raised beds as well and every year we feel so limited about what we can plant.[/QUOTE
]
I am doing more vertical gardening this year to have more space for more veggies.A lot of our property is low and stays wet so long in spring so we have to do raised beds.I would love to plow up a large area and freeze and can all of our own vegetables!But then again,it is hard to keep the deer out of a large area.
Several people I know use a two foot high electric wire around their garden and claim the deer can't see it and will walk into it and stay out.A regular fence they can see and jump over.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
It is cement - I live in a town house. Plus we've had a drought, but still I have lovely orange, red and yellows colors from the California poppies and nasturtiums. I have some herbs in hanging baskets and the HOA uses rosemary for landscaping that I snip if I need it.

Sounds like most of you will have a delicious bounty in a couple months.

·
Super Moderator
2,503 Posts
It is cement - I live in a town house. Plus we've had a drought, but still I have lovely orange, red and yellows colors from the California poppies and nasturtiums. I have some herbs in hanging baskets and the HOA uses rosemary for landscaping that I snip if I need it.

Sounds like most of you will have a delicious bounty in a couple months.
You do know, you can eat nasturtiums? Both the flowers (salad garnish) and the new leaves (peppery salad deliciousness).

I love guerilla gardening and sneaking edibles in where no one knows.... Especially HOA's.

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
Let's see - Last Saturday - I came home to snow on my back porch and 2 inches of rain in the horse feed trough.
This Saturday (today) - As I got up to drive to training - frost on the windshield....

One hanging basket. Lots of wildflowers - clarkia in a bed, in my driveway & in the riding arena..... Can't dig too much... Bitterroot (one of my favorites) galore. Cushion Phlox all out of bloom but plent more is in.. Rugosa's are blooming or about to. Pond Iris....

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
Let's see - Last Saturday - I came home to snow on my back porch and 2 inches of rain in the horse feed trough.
This Saturday (today) - As I got up to drive to training - frost on the windshield....

One hanging basket. Lots of wildflowers - clarkia in a bed, in my driveway & in the riding arena..... Can't dig too much... Bitterroot (one of my favorites) galore. Cushion Phlox all out of bloom but plent more is in.. Rugosa's are blooming or about to. Pond Iris....
We had snow and sleet two weeks ago,now it's 80 degrees and getting dry.I have a large perennial garden that I really enjoy but I came close to tilling the whole thing under this year.The weeds just seemed overwhelming.I hated to but I gave in and used chemical brush killer selectively on the worst of them.Every day I hand pull weeds in small sections,then a thick layer of newspaper topped with cypress mulch.It's really looking good now,good thing I'm too stubborn to give up,lol!

There's a small wooded area behind the barn that was infested with Dogbane that I hand pulled and planted Lemon Balm.The balm is very weedy and has spread nicely and choked out most of the Dogbane.Yay!And it repels mosquitoes and smells wonderful!

I try hard to balance aesthetics with the ecosystem of our little piece of earth.Want to keep a healthy habitat for all of the little critters that live here.

Would love to see pics of everyone's vegetables and flowers this summer:)

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
You do know, you can eat nasturtiums? Both the flowers (salad garnish) and the new leaves (peppery salad deliciousness).

I love guerilla gardening and sneaking edibles in where no one knows.... Especially HOA's.
And strawberries in hanging baskets. I also grow leaf lettuce, tomatoes, and pepper plants in pots on my patio.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I finally got a few natsturtiums to grow this year. Had a devil of a time getting them to germinate. That one is lovely.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts