German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined and this is my first time on this forum. There is a lot of info here and there seems to be a lot of caring people here as well.
My 13 month GSD starts howling every time she hears a siren from a police car or fire truck. It’s the only time she howls, otherwise she’ll just bark. It sounds pretty funny but I got to wondering if the sirens are causing her some pain or discomfort. She only howls when outside, so should I bring her in?

Thanks,
Another Hoosier

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sarge howls when he hears a wolf howling on TV. He also has howled at sirens or other high pitched sounds. I think its cool and normal. I have a show recorded with a wolf howling just to show people how he howls. When he hears it, he sits in front of the TV, and howls away, every time.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hi, I don't think that it hurts her ears, most dogs in my neighborhood howl when they hear a siren. I don't see any reason to bring her in, let her sing. Do you have any pics that you would like to share with us?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Mine howls too when she hears sirens. Both of mine howl when the fire alarm goes off in our building so it's quite the production until we leave the apartment.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Lots of things make Lakota howl, specially my husband, loves to egg her on. Sounds on the tv, other noises outside. But they don't always howl for the sirens, unless I get them going.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
My Lucy howls when I murmur a song ( maybe, as her disapproval?), but she also howls hearing ambulance or fire brigade. These sounds were designed to inflict disturbance on the nervous system of the listerner. My dog would forget about it as quickly as the car was gone. But you can do something about it if you think it stresses your dog. Here are some sounds, the most familiar:
Fire Brigade Truck, Ambulance, Siren Sound Clip and Quote - Hark
Play them low first, then put thhe sound higher, thus training your dog that this sound doesn't mean anything, nothing happens - he will stop reacting.

·
Registered
624 Posts
GSDs seldom bark. Its like barking isn't natural for them. But they will howl on occasion. And you forget right then and there.... its a dog! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts