German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previously we had 1 GSD for 4 years and fostered 3 GSDs for short periods and none of those dogs ever howled at sirens. Now we have a 6 month GSD puppy and we were so surprised to suddenly hear her howling back at a siren!

What % of GSDs howl at sirens in your estimation? Does yours?

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
My GSD’s do not, my Husky/GSD does. He rarely if ever barks (unlike my GSD’s), but he can howl up an entire neighborhood with one siren passing by.

Honestly, I’d happily take the howling over the barking any day! Lol

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Ahh!! To funny! Mine don't howl but Jane has lots of video of her boy howling with sirens. Love it!

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
My dog, who is estimated to be a GSD mix, howls back at sirens! Sometimes (like in this video) he'll howl with you if there's a siren off in the distance.

*edit: oops, didn't attach as video! Sorry. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I have not had a howler yet. Has to be fun. My moms dog will always bark when it’s time to sing happy birthday for someone without fail. She will just join in with the family voluntarily. I think at some point during the song she may try to howl but can not.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Previously we had 1 GSD for 4 years and fostered 3 GSDs for short periods and none of those dogs ever howled at sirens. Now we have a 6 month GSD puppy and we were so surprised to suddenly hear her howling back at a siren!

What % of GSDs howl at sirens in your estimation? Does yours?
Brigit and Morrigan (mom and daughter) both howled at sirens, none of the others from that farm did.
Ace did, Billy did not, Bud did. All 3 from the same lines. Asta, Buds sister also did. I think Delta did as well.
Sabi did not.
Shadow tries but really sucks at.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
All three of mine howl, love it. Every once in while my male howls in his sleep. It's a low, long (really long) soulful howl...haunting, beautiful.

·
Super Moderator
8,676 Posts
I miss it. All of my dogs (various breeds) growing up did, as well as my first GSD, so I never really knew that dogs didn’t. Most of the dogs that I had around or fostered with Gia seemed to follow her lead... when Gia died, Tilden stopped. Keystone has never done it.

Reactions: rod5591

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My GSD/husky mix howls at sirens. It's a very deep-voiced howl.
I compared it to a wolf howl on youtube, and thought it sounded very similar!

And I realized the sirens sound a bit like wolf howls too -
the way they rise and fall rhythmically and get really high sometimes, so no wonder they get triggered!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
When he hears the sirens, my guy will start off with a couple of barks and then something primitive seems to kick in where he has no control but to howl. It really is a stirring song, but as he finishes, it sounds more like a powerful motor trying to turn over. I never get tire of watching him howl it’s mesmerizing.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Chicory gets very into howling at the sirens. Mishka howls for different reasons. I think she likes to hear herself. Gussy howls at the phone when it's ringing.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm really surprised as I'm reading some of the responses......all of the GSDs I've had including the dogs I kept for a time that weren't mine would all howl whether I had 3 or 4 at a time there would always be one dog ( usually a male) who was VERY enthusiastic about singing---the others would join in one at a time until we had a group "sing along" in the back yard... it's very rural where we live now but 2-3 times a week they'll here a siren and they're off and howling.....we had a female who lived with us over 6 months a while ago she was very timid at first but in the end she joined the band and really seemed to enjoy it...she ended up being a great all around dog....frankly I've always been able to get them started myself (with no siren)by sitting down in the yard and I start off with a low sorta howl and a couple of yip-yips from the dogs to get them started and we're all off howling as a group....how's that for a mental image.....:smile2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine does! She has a really slow, low kind of howl. It sounds sad, but when she does it I can't help but think it's cute because the ONLY time we've every heard her howl is at a siren. So it's rare.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Our GSD doesn't howl at sirens, but she does howl whenever we get the other dogs to howl.

We don't get a lot of actual sirens in our neighborhood, but we have a siren video that we play and it makes our Husky howl without fail every single time, which sets off a chain of all the dogs howling!

It's fun to do, but we don't overdo it :'3

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder why some do and some don't? Is howling genetic in nature or a result of upbringing, or both?

My American show line GSD did not howl. But my mixed (1/2 German show line + 1/2 German working line) GSD does howl.

The first thought I had was to wonder if my mixed-line GSD is full GSD? She has longer hair and no undercoat. But she is all GSD in her behavior.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts