German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may get long. I purchased a German Shepherd puppy from a breeder in NC. I brought him home at 9 weeks this last Sun. We picked him up around 1pm. He ate a good meal that evening but that night he threw up in his crate. I noticed his breathing was heavy. He seemed ok otherwise other than he was on the tired side. Tuesday morning, he tested strong positive for parvo. He died early Thursday morning. This puppy clearly had parvo when we picked him up from the breeder on Sun. She actually lost one of his littermates that morning. She told me it was from a bite of some kind and that he had an allergic reaction. I asked about parvo and she said it was neg. My vet did call to confirm this to be true. I am assuming he died of parvo as well. At the time, I did not know this.

The breeder has offered us a full refund. That's great but what about the $700 worth of vet bills? I have no idea if this is something good breeders will help with or not. She has another puppy that she co-owns with a friend that is 3 months old and has survived parvo. She has offered him up for a replacement but no money back if I go that route. I do like the puppy and would consider taking him but I think some kind of refund is in order even with the replacement. Am I thinking this all wrong here?

I paid 1200 for the original puppy. $500 deposit a few months ago and then $700 last Sunday when I picked him up. I told her I wanted my $700 back to cover the vet bills and she could keep the $500 in exchange for the puppy. Or, I could just get my money back and go elsewhere.

I guess I am wondering if she is handling the situation correctly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sandy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,451 Posts
I would get your money back and go elsewhere. Two dead from this litter, plus and older one who had it...sounds like she needs to take a break and sanitize her home and kennel (and I'm not sure exactly how parvo works but you might want to wait a while before bringing home another puppy because it's probably at your place now too).

That is what I would do, as a buyer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,132 Posts
OK - she had a litter now 3 months who had parvo - the offered replaced survived parvo.

Now a 9 week old litter is dying from parvo.

I think you are lucky that she offered your $1200 back. I doubt you will get vet bills back....the second litter should never have been sold until they were vaccinated at least twice - it was too late not to DO the second breeding but darn - I would think that she would have done everything humanly possible to keep the second litter healthy....

Personally - I think I would take it and find a puppy elsewhere in a month or so - do not bring a puppy home immediately because of the risk of parvo infection.

Lee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The litter I got my puppy from was a litter of 3. The two males were sick, the female is fine. The 3 month old puppy she co-owns is living at another breeders house. The breeder said this is her first case of parvo ever on her property. I have no idea about the friends place other than she is a good friend of hers. Her litter had parvo a while back and all survived except one. The male puppy they are offering was pick of the litter. They had planned to keep him until this happened. I asked for another puppy so they offered him to me as a replacement. I never intended to pay full price for him though. I was thinking I would take him at a discount.

I spoke with my vet and she agreed that he should be immune to parvo and safe to come home with me. I would need to wait on getting another puppy though. I did the bleach and water thing all over and straight bleach on the areas he pooped. He had only pooped 3 times while in my care. The rest of the time he was at my vets. So far, my other two shepherds are fine. Crossing my fingers.

I guess I am really wondering if she is handling this the right way considering he was 100% infected with parvo the day we picked him up. She was not aware of this but she did know that his brother was very sick and had to be put to sleep that morning. I should have waited. I should have known better!

Sandy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,451 Posts
If she did not disclose to you that the brother was sick and died before you came to get your puppy, then IMO that is not right. Whether or not she owes you for vet bills would be based on your original agreement/contract.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,483 Posts
I agree - sounds like there are some disease control issues at her place. I would take the refund money for the puppy and look elsewhere. However, your house and anywhere the puppy was indoors should be considered as contaminated for at least 30 days from the last time the puppy was there. Your yard or anywhere the puppy was outside is contaminated for the next year. You absolutely should not have a puppy in either of those places during those periods unless the puppy has already survived parvo or has had at least 3 rounds of shots - and even in the latter case, IMO, you're taking a risk.

So depending on the level of contamination from the puppy you just had, and your desire to get a puppy sooner rather than later, the 3 month old parvo survivor might be a good option, since assuming a normal immune system, a dog isn't going to get parvo twice. If you got the 3 month old, it would be nice if she'd offer you some money to help out with your vet expenses on the last puppy but whether or not she's obligated to do that will depend on your contract.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: pupresq
So depending on the level of contamination from the puppy you just had, and your desire to get a puppy sooner rather than later, the 3 month old parvo survivor might be a good option, since assuming a normal immune system, a dog isn't going to get parvo twice. If you got the 3 month old, it would be nice if she'd offer you some money to help out with your vet expenses on the last puppy but whether or not she's obligated to do that will depend on your contract.
This was my resolution. I would be happy getting some of my money back and getting the puppy seeing how now I'll need to wait to get another puppy. The contract does not state she will help out with vet bills. I just think it would be the right thing to do given the fact she sold me a sick puppy. She did sell me the puppy knowing that his brother was very sick and had to be put to sleep that morning. She did not know it was more than likely parvo. She should have made me wait to see how the other pups faired before letting me take him.

Thanks,
Sandy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,483 Posts
I agree with you - if you purchased a sick puppy and she had good reason to know he was sick, it does seem like it would be good gesture on her part. Although if she was co-owning the other pup and is now willing to give him as an exchange, perhaps this was a dog she planned to show or breed? If so, that might indicate a concession and attempt to make it right on her part too.

Bottom line though, if she knew she had parvo on the premises from the last litter, she should have been a lot more careful in disease control with this litter and should definitely have had her parvo red flag go up the second any of the pups fell ill. And yes, definitely should have warned you and/or held back the pups until she knew what she was dealing with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: pupresq
Bottom line though, if she knew she had parvo on the premises from the last litter, she should have been a lot more careful in disease control with this litter and should definitely have had her parvo red flag go up the second any of the pups fell ill. And yes, definitely should have warned you and/or held back the pups until she knew what she was dealing with.
This was my breeders first parvo in her kennel. The other 3 month old puppy that had parvo lives with someone else. she claims they don't visit each other when they have puppies but I don't believe it. There's seems to be a lot of parvo between the two of them in the last few months.

Sandy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,884 Posts
I would check with my vet regarding the amount of time to wait to be sure my home is free of parvo - I thought it was something more like 6 months you had to wait.

I don't know what I would do about the replacement pup. Depends on what you know about the dogs and how you feel about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,483 Posts
Quote: Then I would wait it out the 30 days and find myself a new pup at a breeder that has nothing to do with this one.
30 days is correct for in the house but it ONLY applies to contamination within the house. The length of time the outdoors is contaminated depends on the climate and time of year, but generally one year is considered the "safe" period. Cold weather is completely protective to the parvo virus, so if you lived somewhere very hot and dry, your yard is going to become parvo free a lot faster than if you live somewhere wetter and colder. Since this just happened, for most of us, the soonest it would be safe to have a young puppy in the yard again would be next spring/summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
I'd take the $1200 cash... and find another breeder to get a pup. IF you can find a pup 4 months old who's had full Parvo Vac thru 16 weeks you should be okay, especially if you sanitize your home.

In fairness to you she may not have recognized the condition prior to sale... but with the brother dieing, and a pup from a former litter being a survivor of parvo (was he ever in her house?) it's reason to wonder for sure. If that surviving pup was in her home at any time he may have shed the parvo and given it to her pups. The sister isn't safely out of the woods as yet. I wouldn't want to take the parvo survivor... Possibility of other damage from the parvo would be a concern. I had parvo 30 years ago in an Akita litter, and one of the surviving pups later became 100% deaf.

Once you get that cash in hand I'd bring up the Vet bills, and give her a COPY of the report of the strong positive parvo. In some states there is a lemon law covering pre-existing medical conditions and you might get some or all of the vet bills back. You also might have to go to court to get that. Unless she's more fortunate than most of us and happens to have loose cash laying around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,015 Posts
take the money and find another breeder with healthy puppies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
What did you want to do with this puppy?

If you decide to accept the pup, meet at a vet clinic (not her usual vet but one that is completely objective) get the puppy examined - I'd want a SNAP test for Parvo & Antibody Titre done for the vaccines (to confirm vaccination status/effectiveness http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm) before I accepted any health claims from this breeder. Given the parvo incident & her refusal to pay any vet bills (she should've offered at least 50% immediately) I wouldn't expect this breeder to stand behind any future issues with the pup.

Personally I'd take my money & run!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,796 Posts
I'd take the $1,200 refund for the dead pup and run.

If you want to pursue her for the vet bill for selling you a sick puppy thru Small Claims Court I'd make that a completely separate issue (it might be more trouble than it's worth).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,509 Posts
I would take the $1,200 and review what your contract stated as well as check the lemon laws. If the contract required for you to go to the vet within "x" amount of time, you did so and had a sick puppy, I would then send a copy of the vet bills and a letter from the vet and request a refund.
 

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
Joined
·
14,619 Posts
Originally Posted By: Smithie86I would take the $1,200 and review what your contract stated as well as check the lemon laws. If the contract required for you to go to the vet within "x" amount of time, you did so and had a sick puppy, I would then send a copy of the vet bills and a letter from the vet and request a refund.
I agree totally!
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top