German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my adopted dog has been to the vet recently and this is what they found.

Any opinions? Should she go on a diet?

·
Super Moderator
6,973 Posts
Yes, the left hip (right side of image) is severe and pretty progressed. Based on my own experience... no longer a candidate for surgery once bone spurs have set in (giving it the cauliflower appearance rather than smooth/rounded). She will need pain management and a good diet. Muscle development looks decent (the angle is weird), you’ll need to keep that up with low impact exercises like swimming. Unfortunately however, she’s probably pretty uncomfortable at times. That said... my girl showed bone spurs in both her hips at 9 and she did well for another 4yrs. It’s all highly depended on each individual dog.

edit: I’d be highly surprised if she isn’t symptomatic. What was the reason they took her in for x rays.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The reason is the morning routine at the shelter that she has issues with when getting up and go for a walk, takes like 15min and after that she is fine.

She was 6 at the time of information but, after the vet inspection they suspected her to be 8 years old.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Did the vet give you at target weight ideal weight for her? When loosing weight remember to do it slowly so it stays off. Meaning she gets slowly use to less food and up her exercise. My guy went from his heaviest of 103pounds down to last weeks weight of 79 lbs I did it very very slowly with some stagnant points along the way. My guy is 8 almost 9. It was the best gift I have ever given him.

The hip looks bad on X-ray but the important part is how is she feeling and moving. If you can make home made bone broth that will be supportive along with other supplements. Also if needed once a month Adequan shots can help a lot.

Be strict with what she eats at first so you stay on tract. I’d be,willing to bet that you are going to notice an ease of movement and more pep in her step after the first 5 pounds are lost. Stick with it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I don’t have a specific step by step and I think even if I did it might not apply to your dog or your situation with what you feed her. but basically it is just a matter of reducing the amount you feed her through out the day including the,treats or snacks that you or any of your family gives her. And add more activity. That beach would be wonderful for this.

try reducing her total daily amount by 1/8 or 1/4 to start. Weigh her before you start the diet and then weigh her in two weeks, also really feel her ribs and get to know her structure so when you do weigh her in two weeks, you should be able to feel a difference when you run your hands over her rib. Adjust the food amount according to how she does and how she feels.
Ask your vet how much weight he wants her to lose as it will give you a goal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont have my dog as this is a rescue organization in a foreign country in EU working together with my local rescue. They went to the vet for Rabies vaccination this week and the vet mentioned it to do a ct scan. How much is too heavy?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
“How much is too heavy?” That question is subjective and dependent on the size and structure of the dog. A 100 pound GSD can be obese or it can be just large, trim and athletic. There are a few members here whose GSDs tip the 100 pound scale who are beautifully fit. Since your future dog is still in the care of the rescue organization and getting veterinary care, I would not worry about her weight until you bring her home.

You also may be confusing “too much” with the standard guideline for a GSD, meaning that 100 pounds would be considered out of standard but that is all it means.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
How tall is she? I had a female rescue who was 26" and a bit on the thin side due to being a picky eater. She was around 70 lbs.

I currently have a 23" female, who's 60 some pounds. That may seem light to some people, but I think it's perfect for her. I'm not seeing any ribs, and she's very fit and active!

That should give you a rough idea! But it depends a lot on activity level, bone structure, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts