German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brutus can be very vocal. example: when I take him to PetsMart he gets excited and starts whining. at first I thought he was distressed but finally figured out he was excited and very happy. when people pet on him he gets very vocal. at night he lets out a very deep groan. too cute.

He is 8 months old.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Brody is very vocal as well! He's very whiny and grunts alot. Thats a GSD for ya!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark was never really that vocal until about a month or so ago.

If he is in a stay (either down, sit or stand) and he thinks he has done his time, he will start barking at me. It's a new behaviour and we are ignoring it for now and only releasing him when he is quiet and calm.

Other than that, someone can knock on my door and he won't say a peep. He will however sit in his spot while the door is open and stare.

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
I have a frustration screamer.

Dog out in our yard? Let's yodel until Mom's ears bleed.

A dog in a training session and nobody paying attention to me? Let's have a public meltdown.

Gave Mom my toy and she's ignoring me? Let's bark while moving closer and closer so she'll throw it.

Morning belly rub? Groan, Moan, grrr, rohrr, groan

Yup...she'll tell you all about it. :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mulder hardly ever "says" anything.

He barks when strangers come onto the property, and will sometimes groan if you touch him while he's sleeping.

Other than that... nadda. Its kinda pleasant, actually :crazy:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog groans sometimes. he also makes this whiny sound
but it's more of a cooing. i think he's contend when he makes
this sound. he's trained not to bark when someone at the door.
there's rarely any unruly barking. if he does bark i can
say "no barking", "quiet" or i can put my index finger over my lips
adding "shhhhh". i don't have to say "shhhhhh".

·
Registered
320 Posts
Godric is SOOO vocal. He constantly whines and barks and moans and groans.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Niko will put his two cents in on just about everything. Especially if it involves unexpected noises, food, his Jolly Ball, Rosa (our other dog), and going for a walk.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wolfie is extremely vocal, and most of it is "talking" or groaning. Not much barking unless someone new is around or at the door.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
All of my dogs are very vocal, it's not so much the barking its all the other sounds they make. When playing it sounds like grizzly bears. The pup loves to howl, sometimes it doen't even have to be a sound on the tv that triggers her. She'll start slow with a couple of wooo, wooo's then she'll look at the other dogs to see if she can get them going. Hubby usually chimes in by now encouraging this, thru all my evil eye looks at him. Then all 3 (4) will begin thier song. I have seen her use this to distract my male dog to take a toy from him. She's pretty smart. Fustration for a toy they cant get at is the best, sometimes it sounds like "get the toyyyyyy"

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Abby does the watch dog bark when people are approaching or walking by the house. She is also vocal when she wants something... not a whine but more like she is trying to talk. She will also bark if trying to get you (or a dog) to play with her and you (or the dog) are not responding fast enough. She loves to be chased.
She will whine/howl if there is a ball under the furniture and she wants you to get it. It's fun because we can carry on a conversation with her.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ahaha, all my dogs are very vocal. My pup "talks" and complains whenever she doesn't like something. One of these days I should video record her.

Also, all my dogs get together and HOWL whenever they hear an ambulance.
This has gone from generations in my house, and different breeds of dogs, the one who started this was a Groenendael Belgian Shepherd, he taught a black lab, then the black lab taught a GSD puppy, when they grew up they taught our current GSD mix male, he passed it to our next GSD pup, when she grew up her puppy does it too.
Even my mini poodle does it, ahaha! My late toy poodle never really succeeded in howling but she DID try!
Now even the neighbour's little dog joins them.

A howling concert, oh my.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Leyte is actually not particularly vocal. She'll do a warning bark or two when someone unfamiliar approaches the gate, but that's not often.

Then at night, after about 9pm, she turns into vampire dog -- she goes out and barks like crazy for seemingly no reason at all. There are neighbors down the road, so we keep her in at night. She's a rescue, so there are a couple little quirks of hers that raise question marks for us, but this one's an easy fix. Anyone else have a bat dog? I've never seen anything like it before.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The only time Bison is quiet is when he is asleep! Sometimes, he even talks in his sleep. He doesn't bark too often. It is mostly whining, chattering, mumbling, groaning...

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I can lay in bed and Hondo will lay between hubby and I. Hubby will act like he is jelouse and try to move Hondo. Hondo will moan and groan and complain. Then if hubby is quiet and just stares at Hondo, Hondo will start a real low quiet whine which will escalate louder and louder. It is funny as all get out. Then hubby will start talking back to Hondo and they really sound like they are having an argument. OMG - I just realized I have no life.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I can lay in bed and Hondo will lay between hubby and I. Hubby will act like he is jelouse and try to move Hondo. Hondo will moan and groan and complain. Then if hubby is quiet and just stares at Hondo, Hondo will start a real low quiet whine which will escalate louder and louder. It is funny as all get out. Then hubby will start talking back to Hondo and they really sound like they are having an argument. OMG - I just realized I have no life.
Ahaha, that was cute! ;)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Dakota is very quiet. I've only heard her bark maybe 10 times since we've had her and she is almost 2 1/2. These barks were play barks when my husband got her really reved up. And she has barked at a dog. I like it this way.

If I were ever to hear her barking I would really be worried that something was very wrong.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My Rocky is a loud mouth, too. He barks at people if they're near the house, he'll bark at other dogs, he'll do this whiney sound just standing still, he has even whiney barked in his sleep. He groans sometimes, too. I think his noises are cute, but I realize not everyone walking with their dogs like to have a large GSD barking at them. He's never growled though. I've never seen him bare his teeth.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts