German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dog bed thats probably 5 or 6 years old. It's the foam egg carton looking kind. I can easily take the cover off and wash it, but is there a way to wash the foam? I've sprayed stuff on it before and thats works good, but I'd like to give it a good soaking wash if I can.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I stuff it in my washing machine, by itself and set it to the gentle cycle (less agitation). Once it's finished washing I let it air dry (I hang mine in my shower).

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Not sure if you could submerse it in a tub with cleaner, spray rinse with the hose and then hang to dry? When the beds have needed an update but the covers were in good shape, I went to the store and bought a mattress topper (king size) and then cut it to fit and put 2-3 layers of that in their bed.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is too big for a washer I think. I just am afraid getting it completely wet will deteriorate it. The foam doesn't break apart?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if you could submerse it in a tub with cleaner, spray rinse with the hose and then hang to dry? When the beds have needed an update but the covers were in good shape, I went to the store and bought a mattress topper (king size) and then cut it to fit and put 2-3 layers of that in their bed.
Ohhh thats a good idea! The mattress topper idea.

I'd spray it down with the hose, but our hose is already put away for the winter.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Oh yeah I guess your hose would be put away for the winter. We spent some years in Wisconsin.....I've tried to block the painful memories of those winters :p Walmart has an off brand of memory foam mattress topper, you can pick up pretty reasonable, that's what I always use. They have 3-4 inch thick ones that are more pricey, I buy a king size so that I can put multiple layers of the less expensive one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts