German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently getting ready to teach Kodee his next new command, "heel." He already walks fairly nicely on a leash, and I've had him always walk on my left side since I got him at 7 weeks old, so that is pretty much automatic for him (unless we're just wandering around in the yard for a potty break.) He is usually pretty good (but not perfect) at not pulling. He will eventually be a therapy dog, if things go right. It isn't a requirement, but it would be nice, if i could teach him a more formal heel. I'd like him to always walk on a loose lead, shoulder about even w/my left knee, (even during changes in direction, of course), and sit automatically upon halting.

Can anyone tell me the best way to train this? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Im not exactly sure how to teach the formal heel, but for the auto-sit, just keep asking for a sit upon halting, and sooner or later, they just start to automatically do it. Everytime you do a "formal" walk stop every so often and look down at Kodee, if he doesnt sit automatically give the command. Once he sits, move forward a fw steps and stop again. Look down, and again ask for a sit, if he hasnt offered one. You can use treats to help move it along faster. Everytime you stop and ask for a sit, give a treat when he sits. The more repetition, the faster it will come to him naturally.

My dogs dont have a formal "heel" where their focus us up on me, but they do walk politely at my side with no pulling. I tie their leashes to my belt loops so i can have free hands, and once we stop they sit automatically. Actually if we dont move forward again right away, they will lay down and wait.. lol Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Don't know how far you want to go with training.
Here is a link for you has some nice video's puppy training with food.

Free heeling
http://www.grammozis.de/Freeheeling.htm

Check this out, it will be fun for both of you, and you will have a very nice high steeping heel in the end.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We've only had our 3 month old pup for a week, and she came to us knowing how to sit, so I've begun training her daily starting a few days ago.

I'm only working with her about 15 minutes or so at a time..not sure if I should increase that time or not as I want to always end on a good note and without her losing interest.

I do use the command "heel" when moving forward, and I stop very frequently and ask for the "sit", although she is beginning to do it automatically unless there are a lot of distractions. I work with her outside in the neighborhood, to get used to people, cars, noises, etc...

I am using the treat system for now, and giving her a treat everytime she sits, whether I ask for it or not. Slowly I'll wean her off of them. She is doing quite well, and I cannot wait to see where she's at in a month's time.

But I am always open to suggestions!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally Posted By: Bellababy
Deejays_Owner said:
When I get home from work tonight, I'm going to check those out! Thanks!
I just got those videos to work last night, and watched them all today. Amazing! Guess what? And they work! I took Bella out without a leash in the front yard and we worked for about 10 minutes...she did great!! Until the neighbors came out and broke her concentration, but as soon as they left, she was right back at attention. I didn't think it would work as effectively as it did, but it definately makes a difference. Very exciting!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts