German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Best ways to train constant eye contact during heels?
How did YOU train it? I am sure there are million ways to get to it, wondering what different ways people have, to see if one works for Zelda an me.

I'm not looking to do competition with her. But training our heel can be frustrating. Right now she can ONLY have her kibble, and its not high value enough for outside or even inside training sessions. So it has to be through praise and also chest rubs for rewards.

When she does a heel, she knows she has to stay next to me with her not going ahead of me.. HOWEVER, she still doesn't get that i want her to hug my leg. My timing must be off? She typical will walk with her head in front of her, sometimes looking away or sniffing things during heel, which i dont want. Also sometimes she will walk a couple feet away from me, same line. And if i move to the left she doesn't. (if that makes sense) I also have a loose leash walking which she can do everything, except put pressure on the leash. I never ask Heel for very long.

I'm guessing the eye contact and hugging my leg might have something in common that i'm missing.

I want a really good solid heel, full concentration on me. Because of her FA with strangers. For safety reasons. :)

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
You don't do either. You train them to look up at you but if you train them to look at your eyes they'll twist around you. They shoudl be looking at your shoulder.

And you dont' want them on your leg touching it. Next to your leg. With her legs in line with yours.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I would pay someone to just come to my house and train tyson. Last I checked you,
Started rewarding them for looking at you.
Then added a command in like "here" and then you rewarded them,
Then you dropped hot dogs out of your mouth while they sat infront of you, then you put them in a heel and started wkth the here command and dropping hotdogs. I have not done this yet but I will start at some point.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i imagine it this way. When someone comes walking near. i put her into a heel, i look at her and she looks at me, concentrates on me. I can multitask, she doesn't have to worry about that. And if touching my leg gives her more incentive and understand i want her as close as possible ill take it. I just figured it would be easier for her in that way but i dont really know. But if i am not looking at her, makes sense to have her look at my shoulder as opposed to my eyes since i would looking straight ahead, i never thought of that part.

But ya, Its not for competition, its for reality and everyday situations with a FA dog.

What if you cannot use food rewards misslesleedavis? I know she loves her flirtpole. But she doesnt care for any other toy enough to work for it.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I dont know. It took me hours of questions to find someone that would tell me the pointers.
Tyson will not work for toy rewards, he will occasionally work for food rewards so its hard to find what drives him. I am not in the boat with focused heeling people yet. Tyson heals and he has nailed the "here" command. Other then that I am having trouble with him transitioning.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know. It took me hours of questions to find someone that would tell me the pointers.
Tyson will not work for toy rewards, he will occasionally work for food rewards so its hard to find what drives him. I am not in the boat with focused heeling people yet. Tyson heals and he has nailed the "here" command. Other then that I am having trouble with him transitioning.
Ah okay, well thanks for the input! :)

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
When I'm doing the transport, I want that leg touch, but only then. I try to get the dog to do contact heeling only during that time, and there is no 'focus on me' but on the helper.
It can be hard to train, but many dogs 'get it' and know they need to be in that place before they are rewarded(for us it is the helper coming into us for a nice bite)
Focus is a couple steps at a time, reward when the dogs looking at you and in position(food usually works best) I didn't push that on my dog til he was older and it was hard to get after the poor foundation I put on him. We ended up doing it with corrections...I bailed on him with a collar pop after I left him, he'd come into heel position with focus and get rewarded. I never corrected in the position, let him know the safe spot is right next to me, looking at me.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I'm doing the transport, I want that leg touch, but only then. I try to get the dog to do contact heeling only during that time, and there is no 'focus on me' but on the helper.
It can be hard to train, but many dogs 'get it' and know they need to be in that place before they are rewarded(for us it is the helper coming into us for a nice bite)
Focus is a couple steps at a time, reward when the dogs looking at you and in position(food usually works best) I didn't push that on my dog til he was older and it was hard to get after the poor foundation I put on him. We ended up doing it with corrections...I bailed on him with a collar pop after I left him, he'd come into heel position with focus and get rewarded. I never corrected in the position, let him know the safe spot is right next to me, looking at me.
Ah thanks for this onyxgirl. I can put that to use in our training, once i can bring treats back into the game, it will be a lot smoother for the reward part.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
My dog is far from being good at competition heeling... Yet he can focus on me and heel when i ask. I put a decent foundation on him of focusing on me in the stationary heel position and worked up from there.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dog is far from being good at competition heeling... Yet he can focus on me and heel when i ask. I put a decent foundation on him of focusing on me in the stationary heel position and worked up from there.
Can you describe in further detail of what you mean by stationary heel?

·
Registered
778 Posts
...training our heel can be frustrating. Right now she can ONLY have her kibble, and its not high value enough for outside or even inside training sessions. So it has to be through praise and also chest rubs for rewards.
Why not use toys?

I'm no expert but I have been having more success getting Linus to focus heel with toys as compared with food. I started off using food rewards and still use them, particularly for better positioning, but he drives much harder and gives me much better focus with a toy.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not use toys?

I'm no expert but I have been having more success getting Linus to focus heel with toys as compared with food. I started off using food rewards and still use them, particularly for better positioning, but he drives much harder and gives me much better focus with a toy.
I suppose if i got a flirt pole with a shorter stick it would be doable. I just try not to use her flirt pole very often, not the best for her hips! But the other toys she really couldnt care less for. I mean they are fun once in a while, she mainly likes to play the come and chase me game with toys or tug in the house on her own terms.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
If you don't have the book Control Unleashed I'd suggest you buy it. Many of the exercises in the book are for dogs with reactivity and they teach the dog to look to the handler for direction.
Not correcting the dog for the looking at the other dog(or whatever), but correcting for NOT doing a command when asked is the key. The dog learns to look to the handler when in doubt, instead of taking the 'control' of the situation.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you don't have the book Control Unleashed I'd suggest you buy it. Many of the exercises in the book are for dogs with reactivity and they teach the dog to look to the handler for direction.
Not correcting the dog for the looking at the other dog(or whatever), but correcting for NOT doing a command when asked is the key. The dog learns to look to the handler when in doubt, instead of taking the 'control' of the situation.
Yes, i do believe i have that somewhere after someone referring me to it, probably with my other books i intend to read! (i never have been a reader of books..) lol

But i agree 100% that is what i want Zelda to do. :) And thats what i tell her to keep myself in the right mind set. "It's no big deal, you don't even need to worry about it one bit."

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts
Can you describe in further detail of what you mean by stationary heel?
Heel is a position. A stationary heel would be him in heel position while you're standing still. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Heel is a position. A stationary heel would be him in heel position while you're standing still. :)
High jacking here but how do i get my guy to walk with my after i have told him to heel, his heel looks like him sitting beside me looking at me but i cant get him to walk with me unless i say OK! then he is like "awesome" breaks eye contact and goes on his merry way.

Oh and i dont know what the heck happened to him in the past but he hates touching, so he always sits about a foot away from me, not nice and close.

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts
Sorry, can't help you! I don't require an attention heel since my sports are flyball, dock diving, and as of this Saturday, hopefully lure racing. I have very specific criteria for a loose leash walk, but I'm okay with the dog only looking at me occasionally.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for this.

No worries, she has DVDs too, which are supposed to be excellent. Clean Run: Control Unleashed: A Foundation Seminar 4-DVD Set
Ah sweet! A bit pricey, but i watch DVDs! I am much better hands on, but even better watching than reading something.. looks like i got something to add to my birthday list since people aren't creative anymore haha ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts