German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Pull off the pads with the pup struggling to stay on. When you move to short tracks, have a jackpot at the end and after the pup has eaten the pile of food or grabbed the toy the track is over. You can play tug and toss with the toy.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Among many other reasons, I like PSA because there is no tracking. It is time consuming and boring to me, especially FST because it is largely an obedience exercise. You could have some fun training your dog to track/trail a person and make the tracking progressively longer and more complex.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
What are the benefits of FST vs TTD? More accurate but much lower success rate?
Just something to think about since you aren't really working towards any formal goal, but it may be more enjoyable if you stick to footstep tracking in the beginning. There's more that's tangible and easier for you to see that he's actually tracking and not just hunting around. You can always free him up to hunt later, you can even do both later if he has a foundation with footstep that has built a commitment to using his nose.

Hineni, may be misspelled, had a thread a while back. She talked about training negatives and whats involved in setting up and reading your dog in that type of TTD and rescue. She's legit and the nuance of that is probably out of my league.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a schutzhund foundation on my pup. We learned together and I’m very happy with the results.
I feel he applies elements of his schutzhund style tracking to finding people and articles, leaning back on nose to ground when air scent is confusing.
At just over a year, he is very confident in his nose.
Probably to the detriment of his competitive ability, I have included low obedience tracks to milk jugs and a person with a tug. This really ratcheted up his enthusiasm for the hunt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is something I started doing with my two just to play around and have fun with, nothing formal. I started doing FST. I think after just the first half dozen times my girl just started zooming along the track. She didn't really care about rewards in the steps and just wanted to "run the trail." She would want to run these short tracks 5 or 6 times over a day or so.

When we got my boy, I always took him out first to the bathroom. When I take my girl she always follows his trail exactly, usually 100 yards out, before she wold take care of business. It was pretty obvious that trailing was her thing. She can easily find me or my husband on a mile long trail through the woods thats been aged a couple of hours.

There are some nice GPS systems that are on my wish list, but we've been having a lot of fun with just a $5 a year phone app to mark the runners trail and then the dog's trail to see how accurate she is. Now that the weather is cooling a bit I'm getting a little more serious with them. As others have said, it depends on your goals. If you are just having fun, its whichever you and your dog get excited about. I haven't figured out what mine picks up on yet, but she knows when we are going to do it and starts getting very excited.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Pull off the pads with the pup struggling to stay on. When you move to short tracks, have a jackpot at the end and after the pup has eaten the pile of food or grabbed the toy the track is over. You can play tug and toss with the toy.
Should you put the jackpot at the "destination" end of the track? Or does one only ever want a dog to track along a track regardless?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts