German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 11.5 week old girl pup won't stop chewing rugs, big area rugs in every room. We've tried diverting her attention with toys, using no-chew spray, saying leave it, etc.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Keep on diverting, give her suitable alternatives, be consistent.

My Spirit was doing that also. I just kept intervening and it's really not a problem anymore. Well, once in a great while, but not a big deal.

Don't think that because your puppy is doing something now, that she'll be doing it forever unless you do something drastic. Just say no, give her something else, and pay attention so you can intervene when you need to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We had the same problem with rug/furniture chewing. In addition to doing what was mentioned above, purchasing and using bitter apple spray also helped stop our pup's chewing.
Not sure what kind of no-chew spray you're currently using, but bitter apple was the only one that worked for us.

·
Super Moderator
32,028 Posts
You need to manage her environment so she does not have the opportunity to chew rugs. An 11-1/2 week old puppy should be under constant supervision, and that means "eyes on", not just in the same room as you. Keep her on leash so she's right with you at all times, and provide a variety of toys that she can play with, with you - keep her engaged.

If you need to do something where you aren't able to watch her that closely (take a shower, go to the bathroom, cook and eat meals, clean house), crate her for the time being. Time, patience, and diligence are your friend when it comes to destructive chewing.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You need to manage her environment so she does not have the opportunity to chew rugs. An 11-1/2 week old puppy should be under constant supervision, and that means "eyes on", not just in the same room as you. Keep her on leash so she's right with you at all times, and provide a variety of toys that she can play with, with you - keep her engaged.

If you need to do something where you aren't able to watch her that closely (take a shower, go to the bathroom, cook and eat meals, clean house), crate her for the time being. Time, patience, and diligence are your friend when it comes to destructive chewing.
+1 This worked for us and our last GSD.

In those times when I could not directly observe him (i.e. being in another room) I had great success tethering him to our couch where his bed was and gave him a high value chew toy or bone. He would calmly plunk down, stretch out and munch away. :) Anything longer term it was off to the crate with said chew.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
If she's going right back at the rug, you have to get her more involved in whatever you're diverting her with. Just trading the rug for a toy won't work. Or make the trade a better one, like a fresh bone - that worked for me with my puppy. I used the small marrow bones, but removed some of the marrow first - it's very rich and will give her the runs otherwise.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Crate train and remove rugs if possible. I also have area rugs. I crate trained and used a short tether in the dining area and I had two runners that he could still get to. The only area he chewed was on those rugs...thankfully not on the big main rug. I just rolled them up. He would not mess with them now but I still have not put them back out.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
If you don't want something chewed, it is up to you to make sure the dog can't get to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx for the great ideas. I discovered a small cowbell in our house and having been shaking it quickly & loudly while saying leave it. Then I follow up with something like: here's your toy, get your toy, etc. the bell really distracts her from the rug chewing. Now she just lays on the rug. I've only had to shake it once today.

GSDs are so incredibly smart!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a cow femur bone that I give Mila to chew on. It is cut in half and was heavy enough when she was younger but now she carries it around. Will have to get a new one and keep it whole this time. She sometimes drops the bone on our floor tiles when she is carrying it around and I am afraid she will break a tile soon. I think the whole bone will be too heavy to carry around but I found that the bone keeps her attention the longest. Tennis balls are bitten in half, and even the cow/pig hide bones don't last long or are hidden somewhere.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
#1 My puppy had x pens for whenever I wasn't watching his every move

#2, I rolled up the rug in the living room and kept it up for like the first 4 mmonths of his life. I actually did this assuming he would pee or poop on it, but then when I realized he enjoyed ripping uo carpet it stayed up. Baby gated him away from rugs it wasn't convenient to move. He grew out of it with guidance. Rug is back now, no prob.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts