German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have been talking about getting a German Shepherd for a long time. a friend of ours is a breeder, so we decided when her female got pregnant we could get a pup. The mommy knows and loves our family (along with daddy) my kids do amazing with them being around big dogs they understand they our fun but also to being careful not to hurt them. So I am wandering in 9 weeks when the pups are ready to come home how is a fun way to tell my kids we are adding a member to the family my kids are 5, 2 And 6 mo the baby won't care but the bigger kids will be excited. Any ideas

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 7yo and a 4yo... I told them we were getting a pup and I took them to the breeders as often as possible to visit their pup and so they could watch him grow :) I found that by them seeing him weekly that when he finally came home at 8 weeks old that they weren't so excited that the poor pup was bombarded by them and didn't get a break lol.

I also made sure that I laid down the rules in regards to handling the pup and leaving their toys around etc etc and I often randomly asked them what the rules were just to insure they knew.

I've had no issues, my pup is 6 months old now and we are one happy family and the kids have enjoyed him right from the get go :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like an amazing idea my dad was a K-9 unit for the police department for a long time so I grew up with knowing the riles of police dog dos and don'ts. It would be good to keep the kids in the know with a lot of the same rules

·
Registered
46 Posts
We kept it hush-hush until we brought the puppy home. We had been talking about getting a GSD for a long time, and my daughter would always daydream about it :)

When she got home from school, I told her that Riley (our other dog) had made a huge mess in the kitchen. She couldn't believe that Riley would do such a thing, so I said "Go see for yourself."

That moment of surprise when she looked in the kitchen and saw the puppy was priceless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I picked my daughter up from my moms with the puppy in the car! She knew we were getting a pup one day but she was so surprised and happy!!! She talks about that day a lot and it will always be something she remembers about her puppy!!! He is 9 months old now and they get along great....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts