German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
There are videos with different trainers saying the down is more effective in those scenarios, one in particular that comes to mind. I don’t see where what she said is a double command and I don’t think that’s how it was meant. I feel like you’re being cantankerous and condescending about this. Forums are for discussion after all.
I was being a bit pushy and argumentative as well. I would understand frustration.
Here's the thing. I was told by someone on the forum that my dog doesn't respect me, strictly because she doesn't do what they've taught their dog to do! I had never asked for or required that behavior from my dog LOL! So the statement doesn't apply.

If you want a behavior from your dog, and actively train for it, and your dog blows it off, then yeah you may have an issue!

Point is, you do what you want with your dog, and I'll do the same with mine. We're both right!

Peace! ?
Exactly. That's what I meant. I regrettably make things sound much more blunt than they are meant to be most of the time. Thanks for making it more understandable.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For all who this concerns @Sabis mom ,@tim_s_adams , @Fodder , etc, I'm very sorry for starting this whole thing. @davewis please don't blame yourself. It's my fault. And thanks for stepping in. :)
I would be far more upset if you were a door mat. You are a teenage girl, I was one and I raised one. Ask questions, but for future reference I hate repeating myself, lol.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Personally, I really enjoy how confident and articulate you are Kathryn, so don't stop!

And Bearshandler, please don't be put off by the mod's handling of this issue. I thought your posts were fine, and you were pretty respectful in stating your opposing view.

There's no way that people will always agree on everything. And I personally enjoy a little debate every now and then!

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
For those who are interested, in a panic situation we often don't think in terms of dog commands. A dog handler might but the average pet owner is going to scream the first thing that enters their brain which is usually NO or STOP.
Your dog will hear the word NO thousands of times in its life. All too often it becomes background noise. They hear you say it to your kids, your spouse, your parents, your neighbors and them. They hear it in all context and all tones.
STOP very nicely bridges the gap between what your brain thinks and what your dog will hear.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I have experimented with doing our calisthenics at curbs, the front porch just in front of a set of stairs, by one of those cement parking lot dividers, and on a plywood place board. It has reduced the creep but not eliminated it yet on open spaces.

I am also starting to looking getting a stake of some sort so we can do more distance work where a long line might not work as well. That way, I can teether pup a few feet from me to work on staying in place without creeping towards me when he thinks I am not looking.
Let me explain my thinking on this. Back tying a dog works well in some scenarios, but not here because they understand they are tied.

You'll get to where you have great performance when back tied, but they still blow you off elsewhere!

What I like to use are the really inexpensive para cord in 1/8 inch size, which can be purchased cheaply at Home Depot or many other stores. I think I paid 2.99 or something for 50 feet.

I use 3 of these braided together (by hand by me) as both her 6 ft leash, and a long line of about 30 ft.

But for this kind of work, I prefer a single strand. It has a tensile strength of 160 lbs, so it's plenty!

And this way, by keeping the lead in your hands, you can work the stay in place stuff, then finish with a recall just by letting go!
To your dog it's maybe magic, but meaningful. As a training aid, it's priceless!

I do like the idea of some sort of screw in type anchor too. But the cheapness of this cord, and the abundance of potential anchors (so you can practice in differing environments), it really is a good way to go!

But either way. That you see it and are working on that creep, is a good thing, however you decide to do it!

·
Super Moderator
6,122 Posts
A hand signal is only useful if your dog is looking at you.If they are racing off in another direction it would be a problem.My boy responds to a hand signal,referee whistle,or vocal command.Just choose a different word that you can remember quickly in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
I taught it with the clicker. Whenever she walked ahead of me and stopped to check on me I clicked and she came back for a treat. Once she understood the behavior, I introduced the command "Stop", clicked and treat, then intermittent until no rewards needed besides praise. This training went very fast and she is consistent in it. Never needed a correction for it. If you need to correct for not stopping, dogs will tend to come back to you to appease. If there is some kind of unexpected potential issue, I call her back so I only use "Stop" for non-emergency situations.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I taught it with the clicker. Whenever she walked ahead of me and stopped to check on me I clicked and she came back for a treat. Once she understood the behavior, I introduced the command "Stop", clicked and treat, then intermittent until no rewards needed besides praise. This training went very fast and she is consistent in it. Never needed a correction for it. If you need to correct for not stopping, dogs will tend to come back to you to appease. If there is some kind of unexpected potential issue, I call her back so I only use "Stop" for non-emergency situations.
Totally different behavior, different application.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts