German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a German shepherd puppy 10 weeks. I do not know if she is still young to be trained.. She is smart and courage.. I just want to know what is the best method to walk her close to me now to follow people
Than you

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
A leash is a good start. She is not too young to be trained.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I agree a leash is a good place to start. Have something in your hand that smells really good the first time you start off so she follows the smell. You can also practice touch (when you hold your hand out her nose touches it and she gets a reward). I did the touch practice with my hand in several different positions so my dog learned to follow my hand. After practicing touch you can sort of lead where she stands by getting her to follow your hand at first. She will fall into that position automatically after a while but since she is so young don't expect perfection at first. Give her time. When you are going for actual heeling only treat when she is in the correct position and don't expect long distances of correct position at first - just short jaunts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I geuss i was lucky with Timbre. Even though he had never been on a leash he took to walks,heeling, and following the person with the leash incredibly quickly. When i have him off leash it seems to be natural for him to be my shadow. I practice tether training in the house so he doesn't wonder and get into trouble.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I geuss i was lucky with Timbre. Even though he had never been on a leash he took to walks,heeling, and following the person with the leash incredibly quickly. When i have him off leash it seems to be natural for him to be my shadow. I practice tether training in the house so he doesn't wonder and get into trouble.

The tether training helps a lot with keeping them out of trouble and teaching them to follow where you go and when you turn. It's a natural first step to heeling I think.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I started leash training Riley very early. (probbaly 10 to 11 weeks. Very small sessions at first no more than 5 to 10 minutes max.) I have two small dogs that I did not leash train early and they pull like mad on the leash. I did not want a german shepherd pulling like that and he doesn't. He has a great heel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know if it's just because Timbre is excessively smart are what because i know he had no prior training but he picked up leash training right away he heels nicely and has not been a tugger at all.i use a regular leash on our walks the only time i use the expandable one is in our yard. I think they are to easy to let loose and cause accidents in places where cars,people, and other dogs are

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
You start training your puppy teaching her commands from the very first day you got her.
You need a very wide soft leather collar EzyDog Collars | Bungee Leads | Neoprene Collars | UK and traffic lead Traffic Lead in Dog Leashes | eBay. This short lead is not so much for controlling the dog, but controlling you not to give more than necessary.
You should be on the move in one direction for the start. Every time she pulls the lead - you should give her command "Close!", stop, and softly pull her to yourself, then walk again. She must understand, that, if she pulls - it will be full stop, no walking any further. And she really wants to move! Just don't forget that your command must be prior to your stop and pull. You can teach her that in one week.
When she started responding well on your command you can start teaching her to walk next to you without the leash. Walking in the woods will be the best.There are two commands:"Walky!" sending her off if you want her to run freely and "Close!" if you want her to walk beside you. Use these two commands in repetition.
Many dogs walk nicely next to the handler, but, still, even if they walk in parallel, the distance is too great between dog's shoulder and his thigh. In order to correct it you start walking by the walls of the buildings. This way the wall becomes a natural corrector.
Take her treat in your right hand, flash it to her, give command "Close!" and start running. She must be able to perform as good as on the walk. Make sharp stops, different turns. Teach her walking on your right by clapping on your right thigh. Many people want to believe that it is natural for your dog to be on your left, in fact, it is the army training rule, because you have your gun on your right shoulder...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts