German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure what section to put this under...feeding our puppies, training, bahavior?? All I know is Athena who is 3 months takes the treats we give her waaay too rough...and with those puppy teeth...OUCH! I started to place the treat in the middle of my palm and let her have it like that instead of between my thumb and pointer finger. It helps a little bit but she's still very rough.

I had an older dog once I taught to take treats easy but he was older and calmer and he did learn to take them so very, very easy but with Athena...she has a lot of puppy energy.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I use whole string cheese and close my hand around it with just a little sticking out. Say 'gentle' or 'easy' whatever you want and let her just nibble on it, saying the command over and over. I'd let more out so she can get bigger pieces off when she bites it but if she gets too rough you can close your and around it so she can't have any until she bites gently again. Another thing that helped Stosh- who literally took my entire hand in his mouth to get a treat- was putting little tiny pieces of treat on a spoon and he had to lick it off since he didn't like the feel of the metal in his mouth.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great ideas! Thanks guys - I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts