German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 4-month-old pup seems to do well learning to go outside. 7 days without an accident. I take him out on a 3 hours schedule(6 hours at night) and whenever he goes to the front door. I haven't let him loose in the house without my supervision... so I have not seen what his limits might be.

The weird part is that he will now only go in the half of the front lawn we designated as his area. If we go for a walk, play in the back yard, or go somewhere else, Ole holds it until he gets back his potty area. The past couple of day we have been walking on a path where many other people walk their dogs. There is dog pee everywhere. He still sniffs and holds it until we are back home.

Any thoughts? or should I just let him grow out of it?

Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's why it's a good idea to have a trigger word. it let's the dog know it's okay to go in a different place. For example, when my pup was small the drive to the cottage was long enough that I would take him out in a field near a must stop bakery. It smells different, the sounds are different, but when I say, "hurry up" , he looks at me like oh yeah, that's what he wants me to do. Nose to ground and a quick pee ensues.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense. I'll start saying 'hurry up' every time he pees. (Lord knows, that is what I am thinking as I stand in the snow at 6 am in my bathrobe and winter coat.)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
To be honest, I’m not sure simply adding a cue to the behavior will fix it. My puppy was taught “go potty” from the day he came home, and he still had this problem. He fully understood what it meant because he would be running around playing in the yard, I would say the command, and he would immediately go, but it did absolutely nothing for his public bathroom anxiety. It certainly won’t hurt to teach your dog a command for going to the bathroom, but don’t be shocked if it doesn’t solve the problem.

The only thing that helped my puppy was me absolutely refusing to let him go in his normal spot. I would literally RUN him to a neighbor’s yard every single time it was time for a potty break and stand there as long as it took. The first time I was standing there for literally 30 minutes. It only took two days of this before he got it, and now he’ll go anywhere. The turning point for me having enough of him only going in my yard was when he held it for 8 hours when he was five months old. During those 8 hours, he went on a hike and played at my friend’s house with two other dogs. He was not crated at all. He just refused to go. He peed the second we got home.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success, I was SO proud of my boy when he pooped during one of our adventures today.

We were walking around a semi-deserted office complex that has a pet supply store at one end. Next to the pet supply store, there is an empty lot that dogs use before and after they go into the store. The store doesn't open until 11 so the area was clear of dogs.

We waited until two hours after breakfast and then started walking around the complex. Every lap, we stopped in the field so Ole could smell where other dogs had done their business. After a couple of laps, it was getting clear that Ole was starting to get uncomfortable. He kept looking back at the car to go home to his poop spot.

Two more laps and he pooped like a champ! We had a party. Ole had a half of a boiled chicken breast I was saving for him, and I had an extravagant coffee at Starbucks on the way home. Celebrate the Victories.

Now to generalize the behavior.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts