German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so my 4 month old puppy still is peeing in his kennel, now before I dive into this more he has a kennel and it has a divider with enough room for him to turn around and lay down. Nothing more, but he will still pee. So I have a pretty strict schedule with my puppy as to not confuse him and get him on a routine. I could let him eat and we play and then I let him outside to go potty and he does his business so I put him in his kennel as I have to run some errands and I won’t even be gone for an hour and I come home and he’s peed in his kennel and is sitting/laying in it. What can I do to stop this I’ve tried everything I feel like. At times I feel like he’s doing it because he’s stubborn or he has separation anxiety. I know he will grow out of it at some point I’m just tired of having to keep taking him a bath so he won’t smell like pee all the time. Also I forgot to mention he sleeps in his kennel throughout the night with no accidents but as soon as I leave the house to go to work or just to go run an errand I come back and it never fails he’s peed and it’s all over him.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Don't take it personal. He's a puppy, still trying to figure out this life thing. Try taking him out more often, like before you go out. (PB4WEGO, as my neighbors license plate said). What are you cleaning the kennel with? NEVER use an ammonia based cleaner; ammonia is a component of urine, and - to a puppy - smells like the right place to pee. You might try one of the 'not here' sprays for puppies. Be sure to reward him with lavish praise when he does go where you want him to and ignore him when he pees where you don't want him to. Just sop it up, clean away the smell and move on. He'll get it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't take it personal. He's a puppy, still trying to figure out this life thing. Try taking him out more often, like before you go out. (PB4WEGO, as my neighbors license plate said). What are you cleaning the kennel with? NEVER use an ammonia based cleaner; ammonia is a component of urine, and - to a puppy - smells like the right place to pee. You might try one of the 'not here' sprays for puppies. Be sure to reward him with lavish praise when he does go where you want him to and ignore him when he pees where you don't want him to. Just sop it up, clean away the smell and move on. He'll get it.
Yeah that’s the thing I do let him out pretty often I feel like my day consist of making sure he’s let out a lot because I understand he’s still a puppy and can’t hold his bladder but I clean it with an ammonia free cleaner I got from pet smart and also have a spray that’s suppose to stop dogs from urinating in the same spot but he still does it. I’ve asked the vet to check for a medical issue and they said he’s healthy pup. I’m just trying to figure out how to do fix the issue. Since he started doing it I’ve double the amount of times I take him out and make sure his bladder is emptied but he still has that little amount that I feel like he’s saving just to pee in the kennel and watch me clean it. Lol

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
First of all, it's very common so relax. It's not stubbornness or anxiety....it's a puppy.

That being said, he could be fairly much house trained and reliable by 4 months so it's not like all GSD pups are like this.

Puppies have to pee.....a lot. They can pee on an outing and have to pee 10 minutes later again.
I never take the pup in immediately after peeing as the may not fully drain and with a little bit of running/sniffing around, they often go again.

I have never had a dog pee in the crate once ever so I'm not of much help other than I would take them out WA more often than you think they need to go and they will desire to not soil themselves inside or particularly the crate. The good news is he goes all night so you know it's not a bladder issue. Are you rewarding for going outside?

I assume you're cleaning the crate with an enzyme based cleaner that will eliminate all urine smell and not encourage re-peeing there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, it's very common so relax. It's not stubbornness or anxiety....it's a puppy.

That being said, he could be fairly much house trained and reliable by 4 months so it's not like all GSD pups are like this.

Puppies have to pee.....a lot. They can pee on an outing and have to pee 10 minutes later again.
I never take the pup in immediately after peeing as the may not fully drain and with a little bit of running/sniffing around, they often go again.

I have never had a dog pee in the crate once ever so I'm not of much help other than I would take them out WA more often than you think they need to go and they will desire to not soil themselves inside or particularly the crate. The good news is he goes all night so you know it's not a bladder issue. Are you rewarding for going outside?

I assume you're cleaning the crate with an enzyme based cleaner that will eliminate all urine smell and not encourage re-peeing there?
Yes I reward him when he goes outside with lots of treats and “good boy” praises and playfulness. He’s pretty much potty trained only has one or two accidents. The only reason why I thought it could be anxiety is because I was reading a blog that said if a dog is attached to one person then when they leave they start to panic not all dogs have it but I was just seeing if anyone else was having the same issues I was. He’s a great puppy I take him everywhere with me. I’d take him to work if I could so I thought maybe he just is missing me or something. In the span of an hour I let him out at least 4-5 times just making sure he’s doing his business and he actually lets me know when he’s gotta go potty but for some reason he is having this kennel issue. Yes I am cleaning it with and enzyme cleaner I picked up from pet smart they recommended me it I also bought a spray that’s suppose to eliminate a puppy from going potty in the same spot

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I were you I’d actually take him out less… 4-5 times an hour for a 4 month old is excessive and you’re going to probably drive yourself crazy. I’m also concerned that by going out that many times he might just be learning that when he’s gotta go he can go right away.

On average, pups can hold it about an hour for however many months old they are up to like 8 months depending on size. So take him out after he eats/drinks, just woke up from a nap, tells you he has to go, or after it’s been a few hours since his last potty break. But otherwise try to work up how long he goes between potty breaks.

Have him spend more time in the kennel not just when you’re gone. You can even feed him in there or give washable toys as well as treats. Make it a happy place! He has to understand it’s a den not a pee pad.

When he does have an accident clean not only the kennel but the area around it where pee might have splattered. When I first got my pup we put a tarp under the kennel to make sure nothing got on the floor and still gave him the idea it was okay to pee there.

Good luck; he’ll get it right soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts