German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a groomer, and I take the GSDs to work with me every day to our grooming shop.

Carly, who will be 9 months old next week, has recently started barking at the other dogs. She is crated in a very large wire crate.

When we take other dogs in and out of crates, or walk dogs by her crate, she jumps up and starts barking wildly at them. It's practically impossible to get her attention when she starts this barking.

When she is OUT of the crate, she doesn't make a peep.

Any suggestions on how to eliminate her barking (or at least stop it quickly)???? I can't just stand by her crate, waiting for her to bark, because I am very busy grooming. It's really annoying.

She really is a lovely puppy to live with, it's just this nutty barking at work that is driving me crazy...

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've never had any luck training a dog to stop barking using positive reinforcement. If somebody has, I would love to hear about their method.

A European working dog judge that I know has suggested that a well-aimed shoe thrown at the crate could have a lasting effect, especially if done on the first occurrence of unwanted barking.

I know plenty of people who would use a Tri-Tronics Bark Limiter, or a normal e-collar.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i just cup my hand/hands around my dogs
mouth and say "no barking". sometimes i would
hold his mouth with one hand and put one finger
in front of my lips and "say no barking" or "shuuush".
now either saying "no barking" or putting my fisrt finger
over my lips quiets him.

I've never had any luck training a dog to stop barking using positive reinforcement. If somebody has, I would love to hear about their method.

A European working dog judge that I know has suggested that a well-aimed shoe thrown at the crate could have a lasting effect, especially if done on the first occurrence of unwanted barking.

I know plenty of people who would use a Tri-Tronics Bark Limiter, or a normal e-collar.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i just cup my hand/hands around my dogs
mouth and say "no barking". sometimes i would
hold his mouth with one hand and put one finger
in front of my lips and "say no barking" or "shuuush".
now either saying "no barking" or putting my fisrt finger
over my lips quiets him.
But the OP's dog is in a crate. Letting her out so you could touch her might reinforce the barking behavior...

·
Super Moderator
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a dilemma!

I know this is just a phase. I've been taking dogs to work with me for over 30 years. Carly is just being an obnoxious 8 month old puppy, but one with a HUGE bark.

A bark collar isn't an option, since there is barking by other dogs in the shop that would set it off.

I've just resorted to sticking my hand in the crate, and grabbing her by the scruff with a loud "ENOUGH!". She stops until I take my hand off of her. Then it's bark bark bark.

I've thought of shooting her with a squirt gun filled with water when she barks. But being a GSD who LOVES water I wasn't sure what that would accomplish. I guess it's worth a try. I know an e collar is probably the only way to really stop her, but frankly I don't know that I am willing to do that on a puppy.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I would open the crate door and tell her to stay rewarding her staying in the crate with treats. Of course you would do this between appointment's when you can pretend to be working but in actuality you are not. I would not have my dog going crazy in a crate and think it is just a phase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.