German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted an introduction ("It's Almost Time") in the Intro Forum to give a quick sketch of who I am and my background with dogs.

What I'd really like to know here is how one goes about finding good breeders and getting to know them. A google search of "GSD Breeders" brings up lots of websites, but with today's slick marketing, it's pretty hard to tell which ones are legit and which ones are just plain scary. And there's tons of acronyms that have little to no meaning for me. (Is there a thread somewhere around here that defines all these acronyms?)

Things I understand to look for:
AKC registration
health testing for hips, shoulders, and genetic diseases
strong accomplishments in show and/or work in parental lineage
a breeder willing to answer questions and allow visits
a breeder that helps match you to the perfect pup, rather than just says, "Pick one!"

Is there more to look for? Specific red flags to avoid?

How does one go about introducing oneself to a breeder?

I live in San Antonio, TX. I love road trips, so don't mind a long drive to meet a breeder. And I wouldn't mind a really long drive to pick up a new pup and bring her home, if necessary. I'd consider having one shipped, but I'd drive an awfully long way to avoid that if at all possible.

I'm not interested in showing at all. That's just not my scene. I did agility training with my previous dog, but never competed with it. I'd love to get back into that, as well as explore other sports activities and training opportunities. I'm looking for a family dog without TOO much drive. I'm not looking for perfect conformity (just the best health possible) or ultra-protective. I'm looking for a dog that loves to learn, loves to have fun, and bonds strongly with the family.

I'd love a long-haired GSD, and I prefer contrasting colors as opposed to solid blacks or whites...but honestly, if the dog is healthy and has the right personality and drive, then we'd love her looks no matter what.

I say "her" because I've always had female dogs and it's what I'm most comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Reactions: Judy Untamed

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Judy! I actually just went through this a few months ago, Im in Miami and found what I thought was a good breeder local, then after 2 failed litters I started my search again. After months of research I ended up going with Jeff Lund at Schneiden Fels Kennels in Kentucky and im extremely happy I did. Great guy, very knowledgeable about the breed, been doing this his whole life ( he actually has another amazing litter coming soon). I actually flew up there and they met me at the airport with the pup so I didnt have to rent a car and drive 2 hours to his kennel.

As far as your checklist of what you are looking for, he checks all those off plus more and his prices were extremely reasonable compared to most other breeders. Another good kennel I found on my search was Drache Fels.
He didnt just want to sell me any dog, he listened to what I wanted in a dog and picked the one that best suited me, instead of letting me pick from a picture, then ending up with a pup that I wasnt happy with.

I have heard of Von Der Otto in Texas but dont know much about them.

RED FLAGS TO LOOK FOR: asking for money before finding out what kind of dog you are looking for, not wanting you to see the parents, "the papers are coming later", not wanting you to see the kennel, not sending pics or vids after pup is born (this may not be the biggest one but it played a big part in my first 2 failed litters)

As far as introducing yourself to them, just shoot them a call or email, most will get back to you pretty quick and you can start dialogue that way

And for the acronyms use this: Glossary of terminology related to German Shepherds

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Super helpful, y'all! Thanks!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts