German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to start clicker training with Gunner, but not sure how to go about doing so. If there is any videos that you advise watching or other threads, please send this way.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
There's all kinds of videos on youtube- just search away. Here's a good intro:

I think the biggest thing with clicker training is to just do it. Although there IS a lot of science behind it, in practice it's honestly pretty easy. Just break down the behaviors you want to train and click/treat the dog when they do the behavior.

Once you (and your dog) start getting the concept- THEN I'd suggest diving into some more interesting stuff like rate of reinforcement, no reward markers, behavior chains, etc. If you want to see a fantastic example of clicker training- check out any of Silvia Trkman's DVDs. Her clicking skills are out of this world.

Like I said though- just watch a basic video on clicker training and then just go do it. You'll learn quickly (as will your dog)!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Its very easy. You hold the clicker behind your back with some treats. You take one treat at a time in the other hand and just before you give them the treat click the clicker and give them the treat. This associates them with getting a treat and the clicker sound. Then you just simply use the clicker the same way when using commands. Click just before the treat. Thats how I was taught. But the first step is associating the clicker with the treat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Advice from a certified clicker trainer

I am wanting to start clicker training with Gunner, but not sure how to go about doing so. If there is any videos that you advise watching or other threads, please send this way.
Yes, you can start with this short video:

Go to this website to read introductory articles about clicker training. I have made videos to accompany some of the articles, including one on how to get started in clicker training. Here is the video on how to get started:
There are others on my YouTube channel, for example on how to teach a dog to sit (on cue) using clicker training. You can also follow me on my Facebook page: Canine Connection LLC.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I second checking out Karen Pryor. You can find all kinds of things.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know it's mentioned over and over again, but work on your timing! It really is a critical part of using the clicker. Have fun, and good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts