German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be getting a low drive Kelpie female, 2 years old.
She will have to be spayed. Question: has anyone had their female spayed by just removing the ovaries and leaving the uterus? If yes, how did that go: laprascopic or tradtional, price, healing? Pyometra and false pregnancy will not be of a concern since the hormones are practically gone. The uterus supports internal organs so is still important (not different from humans)
WD is intact so we cannot deal with heats.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The healing and pain involved would be similar. The most painful part of the spay is pulling on/clamping the ligament attached to ovaries and removing them. You are correct that leaving the uterus should be no problem. There are surgeons who do this. I often leave a good piece of the uterus in cats because of their anatomy it's just much easier and takes less time to do it that way, I have done probably 200 cat spays since graduating a year ago and not one problem with it. When I learned about surgeons leaving the whole uterus in school, the only downside any one could come up with was if there was a piece of ovary left in the animal (which can happen even to the best of us) then can still get full blown pyometra.....but not really that different than stump pyometra. Just important that you would remember you had it done that way for any future problems, should they arise, just in case. Not sure on prices of laparoscopic surgery, but I imagine the price wouldn't be that different for traditional since taking the uterus out is the easy part, the ovaries are the most difficult part of the surgery. I would not charge less to do this if someone came to me and asked for it since taking the uterus out too only takes about 2 min longer if that and only a slightly bigger incision in most animals.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I don't know if leaving the uterus in place aids that much after removing the ovaries - as posted below you're still tearing the ligaments to remove the ovaries. I've also never heard of a canine uterus helping to hold organs in place in general. Actually I think I'll talk to one of the board certified surgeons on Tuesday about that! Anatomy between a canine abdomen and a human abdomen is different. Difference of gravity.

I've heard of removing the uterus and leaving the ovaries on the thought that estrogen is required for healthy body function in it's natural state. I've heard of leaving portions of the uterus because it's faster. Never really heard of leaving the uterus and only taking the ovaries to promote health. Not that I think anything would be wrong with leaving the uterus.

As far as price I think in general anything laparoscopically tends to be more expensive because it's normally board certified surgeons that do it. However if a general day practice were to have the equipment I can't imagine it would be that much more expensive.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i did a lot of drinking yesterday and i got up early this morning.
when i read the title of your thread "How to spay" i thought you
wanted information on how to do-it-yourself spay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Advised by our vet on our 7month old GSD, we took the ovaries, left the uterus. Traditional surgery, no price difference, but she said her recovery would be less painful, so we took her advice. She did very well, and after the first night we had a hard time keeping her quiet!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts