German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Rogue has done great with socializing so far but only with people and little dogs. If there is a dog that is larger she is terrified! We have tried to casually introduce her to bigger dogs and we cannot get her near them. She does everything to get away. I do not want to force her and make her more scarred but I just do not know what to do about it. When it comes to people and little dogs she is all happy go lucky and runs straight up to them wanting attention and wanting to play. In our fence she is the same way when people pass by and when little dogs pass by but when big dogs pass by her hair on her spine (not sure what it is called) stands up and she is barking at them like a crazy dog. Rogue is 16 weeks old so I know some of this just has to do with her being a puppy but I would like to be able to bring her more places that has dogs that are larger than her and she won't freak out. My Vet told me I need to start correcting her because she is showing territorial tendencies when dogs come near our fence because of her hair standing up but maybe i am just naive because I just think it is because she is a puppy. Her hair will also stand up when she is playing with my 2 year old (chow/shepherd) dog. I guess this is something I should be correcting says the Vet??? Rogue already shows her dominance tendencies with my older dog by trying to stand over her, hump her, and other things but once again I don't really think she understands what she is doing considering she is so young. Am I being naive or should I be correcting some of her behaviors and how in the world do I socialize her with big dogs if she is terrified of them? Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One last thing! Rogue goes completely crazy when we get around a lot of people. For example, when we go to the vet she is barking and freaking out the whole time trying to get to everybody. I bring in treats to try to redirect her but she does not even care about the treats because she is too focused on barking at everybody and trying to get attention.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Get her enrolled in a puppy or basic obedience class so she can be around other dogs of all sizes all in a formal setting without interaction. Learning structure and proper behaviour while on leash around other dogs will be a big help in the future. She's still very young and should pick things up quickly

Also a formal trainer should be able to help diagnose and give you help with any other issues you'd like to address

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response. She is in puppy classes but the problem is there is only puppies and little dogs. The trainer has tried to introduce her to larger dogs but rogue freaks out! She does great in class but there is only a couple of us in there so I do not think she is faced with the temptation like at the vet to bark and go crazy. I need some ideas for in the house and that I can personally work on because my trainer does not seem to be of much help and we will be changing trainers after this class is finished.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
All trainers have their strength and weaknesses :)

Have you researched LAT (Look at This) or BAT (Behaviour Adjustment Training), LAT especially should be useful

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I just printed off a bunch of stuff regarding LAT and BAT and will start reading up on this and trying implement it. Do you think that the behavior she is doing with her standing up is normal puppy behavior or not normal like my VET said?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
My 8 month old was the same way at your pups age. Even at 5 months we kept him on the small dog side..lol. If we we went to the dog beach , which has both small and big dogs together he would immediately run to me or run away and cry if a big dog wanted to play. My son said he was a wuss..lol. Somewhere between 6 and seven months he just stopped being afraid. Now he tries to play with dogs way bigger than him. A few Great Danes were having a play date at the dog park and I had to call Dex and my maltipoo who thinks he's a big dog, back to me so they didnt get trampled. Dex whined the whole time because he wanted to get in the mix. So now I'm on the other side of the fence, I want to teach Dex not to run up to every big dog and try to initiate play.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
She's young and still learning what the world is about just like a little kid, so I would focus on making experiences positive and working with the thresholds she has at the moment.

Have you asked the vet's office about taking her in just to sit in the waiting room and get used to the sight and smells. Most have no problem with allowing you to come in, she can get weighed, get treats from the staff if they have time, etc. All to desentitize her to the overall atmosphere, see if there's a time like just before closing or lunch time when it's quieter when you can slip in. Take a favourite toy and impliment LAT when she's rewarded for focusing on you

Same thing with the big dogs, allow her to see them from a distance and find her threshold for when she reacts and work from there. Whether it's 5 ft, 10 ft, 20 ft - use what she gives you and work slowly towards the goal of walking by them without a peep

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Xerxes was exactly the opposite. I was worried about him when I took him to a play date with Jasira, my female, who was a year old at the time and her year old friend when he was only 10 weeks old. We went in the dog park and the " big kids" were wrestling. He ran right in and was biting legs and tails trying to get in on the action with the "big kids." They ignored him. LOL

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I am just going to take it slower and just let her watch from a distance and let her move in closer when she feels like it.
Do you know anything about food agreession (well not really aggression but when she goes in the zone when food is around) She can be a bit over the top at times and I have completely stopped that when it comes to me. I can leave my food anywhere and she will not go near it but my children are a whole different story. I have tried a little here and there on my kids working with her but they are young (6,4, and 2). Last night she went to a whole new level. I usually put her outside at dinner time because it gets chaotic in here (I work with her on table manners at breakfast and lunch though) well all but 1 of my kids (the 6 year old) were done eating and I had them in the living room well as I was tending to my 2 year old, my 4 year old went and let Rogue inside. Well Rogue went straight after my 6 year old who was eating a piece of chicken. He jumped up at him and stole the chicken out of his mouth. It scarred the crap out of my 6 year old and he crying afterwards. I put Rogue back outside to let me cool down for a minute because I was highly upset at that point. I have decided to start working with the kids holding food in their hands and even dog treats and I will stand by and correct Rogue as needed. I think I need to make it that they NEVER give any type of food to her and that I am the only one she can receive anything from (and my husband as well). Do you think this would work? She would bite my kids in order to get food from them (not hard but enough to scare them). This whole situation surprised me as she is so good when it comes to me and having food. She knows she is not even allowed to look at my food when I am eating but the kids she just sort of bullies :confused:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Xerxes was exactly the opposite. I was worried about him when I took him to a play date with Jasira, my female, who was a year old at the time and her year old friend when he was only 10 weeks old. We went in the dog park and the " big kids" were wrestling. He ran right in and was biting legs and tails trying to get in on the action with the "big kids." They ignored him. LOL

Lol. so cute. I think it helps when you already have a big dog at home. But coming from a home with just small dogs or no other dogs it can be a new experience. I also didnt take him to the dog park until he was 4 months old, so maybe that didnt help the situation. I was just so afraid of him picking up a disease.

I agree don't force your pup. It takes time. Also if you have friends that have calm big dogs that helps too. Especially if they can meet in an off leash area. Sometimes just watching you pet the big dogs can show your pup its okay.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Walking with someone with a large dog will help. Hopefully someone won't mind if you just walk next to them for a little while. I'd wouldn't get involved with play or smelling each other, just see if you can do a casual, calm relaxed walk.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ummm may not be the best advice but it seems to be working for me. I have a 15 wk old gsd pup and we got her at 12 weeks. I work in a vet hospital so I've been taking her with me to work almost every shift so she actually loves being there around dozens of people I work with but she acts the same way around big dogs. Hackles up. Tail tucked. Barking. Whining when a large dog gets near her. Running and hiding behind me. Etc. also does the hackles raised and barking at the privacy fence when neighbor dogs bark. Well I found she did worse when I kept her back and wouldn't let her best them. So far with multiple large dogs(that I know and trust won't hurt her) I just toss her into the mix. Let them sniff she cowers a little and runs but becomes curios. My future in laws have 3 large dog that she met for the first time 2 weeks ago. She did tr whole whine and be terrified and run thing for a few minutes which I totally ignored and refused to coddle her. We were staying with them for a couple of days and by the end of the first 20 min she was timidly playing and the second day a little more interested and less nervous. This weekend she saw them again for the first time time and acted like they'd been friends forever!! Trying to play with them to the point they were the ones avoiding her. Wasn't timid at all. Another dog I forced on her is a coworkers gsd. She met him without me present at first but still supervised. She hid under a picnic table for 30 min until I was able to get a break at work. Very nervous hackles up etc. when I came out she came from under the table and hid behind me for a min and we started throwing a ball and Cato the adult gsd of course starting chasing it like crazy. Well Mila started chasing right behind him and then they were fine. :). So forcing the situation worked best for me but maybe not for all. Those were the dogs she's had the most contact with but I've thrown her in with other large dogs and had the same response. She just got over it after a couple minutes. ImageUploadedByPG Free1379218021.748939.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1379218047.321082.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1379218069.206705.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1379218105.037394.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good news update!

Rogue is finally starting to socialize better!! My husband has been taking her on long walks and associating her with big dogs through fences (we know the dogs so not random ones that would trigger a negative interaction) and Rogue was terrified of every dog at first but is now slowly but surely walking up to the fences all on her own when she is out on walks. She still gets a bit crazy when she is in the fence and big dogs walk by. Her hair stands up and she barks a lot until I cool her down. But we had a surprise visit by a pit bull mix yesterday (that scarred me). I let both of the dogs outside while I was cooking and all of a sudden I hear Rogue going crazy so I look out the window and there is a huge pit bull mix in my backyard! We live on a military installation that has very strict rules so we never really encounter dogs on the loose. Well somehow this dog jumped our fence and my chow mix was all happy as she thinks every dog is her friend and was running around with this random dog. Rogue on the other hand was being a bit territorial and was barking like a wild dog at the dog and all of her hair was standing up. However, within minutes she was PERFECT and was running around playing too!!! This is a HUGE change compared to how she was acting not even a month ago!! I am so excited that she is finally starting to get her confidence and realizing some dogs just want to be her friend!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts