German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a 3 month old GSD that is very timid and well pretty anti social. I have taken her to the dog park before and she has backed away or growled at other dogs. I've had play dates with my friends pitbull(4'months and friendly) and they play for a while and then she starts showing her teeth and sometimes growls but still is playing but then it escalates to the point of a small fight between them. Also when people pass by she barks at them or when they try to pet her she backs off and barks. I am currently taking her to obedience classes at petsmart. Any ideas or tips will be very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mine was the same way but she eventually outgrew the shyness. She plays well at the dog park now. But is very choosy she'll ignore some dogs and play with others (those mostly close to her in age) we typically go during the least crowed times of the day usually to play fetch. As far as the petsmart classes I did the beginner class and I felt like I could have spent the money better somewhere else. Wasn't impressed id taught my girl pretty much all the commands they went over simply through watching YouTube videos before we even started the class so we went over nothing practically

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine was the same way but she eventually outgrew the shyness. She plays well at the dog park now. But is very choosy she'll ignore some dogs and play with others (those mostly close to her in age) we typically go during the least crowed times of the day usually to play fetch. As far as the petsmart classes I did the beginner class and I felt like I could have spent the money better somewhere else. Wasn't impressed id taught my girl pretty much all the commands they went over simply through watching YouTube videos before we even started the class so we went over nothing practically
Did you do anything to overcome her shyness ??

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would recommend staying away from petsmart trainers. I called and asked the local petsmart trainer about marker/clicker based training, and she had never heard of it lol...

·
Registered
276 Posts
The only thing I did was trying not to put her in stressful situations, I didn't force her to play if she didn't want to, so instead I'd make her focus on me and play ball or something. We'd interact with family dogs that I knew personally but always watching carefully in case one dog began to rough house too much and then we'd separate and take a break. Mine loves to play the equivalent to "tag youre it" she chases dog dog chases back but no one's jumping on eachother or tackling. But it took awhile for her to play probably saw a good change at around 5-6 months that's when she finally stopped being so timid. She still is a little bit but much much better. Mine just prefers playing with calm quiet dogs lol the ones that bark a lot and are really hyper shell just ignore. As far as people we just took her everyone that allowed dogs home Depot Lowe's etc. I never had much of a problem with people

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah im in that process at the moment. I've been taking her to different parks and stores where they allow pets and today i took her to the park and we sat a bench so she could see the people and just get used to them and then one of the people at the park kinda scared her because they yelled and then she barked at a few people approaching our area and then when we were headed back to the car we encountered two dogs and my pup got scared when she seen them and the other dogs started barking so mine did the same thing but i pulled her to my side and kept walking. But i see this is going to take a lot of patience

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
there is not one thing to be gained by taking a young dog to a dog park.
stop.
what is the hurry .
socialize the dog to YOU first , especially a sensitive type .
have the dog in the comfort of your home - and have people
visit you that will not make a big deal of the dog .
mutually ignore each other .
let dog explore -- nothing over the limit.
here you have a pup who is physically spent , and emotionally on the ropes and
you want good things to come from it

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah honestly not a huge advocate for dog parks... Too many crazy dogs and owners. I'm always very cautious when I enter. I usually scan around and check things out.. I really only go cuz where I leave it's the only place I can let my girl off leash without getting fined by the city... We go hiking and I let her off but only in very very secluded areas with almost no people except the occasional mountain biker. But the park is big enough so most of the time we head to back and just play ball she'll just sniff around and stretch her legs and no one bothers us especially during the empty time of the day when we get the whole place to ourselves! Just always always watch your pup. I was at my parents property with my sister and her husbands dogs a lab/pit mix and cocker spaniel/collie mix and the cocker spaniel is older like 4 yrs old and honestly is kind of an ass to other dogs but only when they get in his "bubble" he tolerates the lab mix he's only a year old. Well they were all together and I was in charge of watching them. I turned my head for 5 seconds to answer a question and all of sudden the spaniel had my girl pinned and teeth baring and mine was crying and crying it was awful. He didn't bite but sure did scare the **** out of my girl and me (she was 3 months) she was already tip toeing around the dog to begin with so I had no idea what made him do that. I felt so guilty. I didn't really want her around him to begin with but my sisters husband insisted it would be fine..... So yeah I never take my eyes off of her around other dogs even when I talk to people... It was a very traumatic event for her and I would never ever want it to happen to yours

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Timid and anti social is only an issue if "you" don't make some adjustments to "your approach" with "this" dog. Stop going to the Dog Park, she has already told you she is uncomfortable being there take her at her word. And the "people" no big deal if she doesn't much care for people "fine" keep them out of her face, she only has to be "civil" around people she does not have to like them. Exposure to people not Socialization with them ... works out fine. :)

See who Pet's my Puppy or Dog, Dog Park Warning and Three Dogs Who Should not be in a Dog Park:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

And all dogs should know "Place" and if your working with a dog with behavioral "issues" "Sit on the Dog" is a very useful technique, see here:

Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

As always ... ask questions and welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to take her to the dog park but i did see she didnt like it so i didnt either and are normal parks ok? Because thats where i have been taking her and she seems to like it, i dont make her go to people but i do want her to stop barking at them when they pass by next to us and as well as other dogs. Any tips will be very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
No dog parks. Work on her confidence at home. Take her to stores that allow pets, not necessarily just pet stores. Our vet wouldn't let us take our dog out so I started late and had some leash reactivity, but we worked through it from a distance by walking away. If there is a good puppy class in your area, try that but visit first. I put my dog into one and it was a disaster. Now we are in big dog obedience and he is doing very well.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
:eek::eek:
I used to take her to the dog park but i did see she didnt like it so i didnt either and are normal parks ok? Because thats where i have been taking her and she seems to like it, i dont make her go to people but i do want her to stop barking at them when they pass by next to us and as well as other dogs. Any tips will be very much appreciated
Aww so you did stop taking her! Great you have good instincts! :)

Right now she is still barking at people because she is "uncomfortable" should her what you want and she will soon get it. The article "Who Pets your puppy or dog."

i do that with all my dogs, people were not big deal for my "Boxers" (in point of fact they were a bit over the top ... :eek:) They luv "everybody" my first OS WL GSD ... yeah not so much.

Still it was the same deal except, I would body block my dog and or people, no one got to him with out getting past me! He got that he is still not a fan of people but he is safe in public and actually very good with people on the rare occasions that someone does slip past me ... I'm not as anal I was these days. :)

And he never got a single correction for inappropriate behaviour in public, after numerous times of "Stay" and me stepping in front to "explain" he got it. If "Daddy" stops to talk "I stand here and not act like a fool." Worked out fine. :)

The thing is in order to show her what you want you will have to find people to ignore. So you're going to "need" to "Walk your dog" (A structured walk) set the pattern and and at some point you "my" need to correct her?? But ideally once she understands what you want maybe not?? But if you do ... that should not take more than a "NO" or a slight leash tug "Sideways."

Another thread on my tool of choice a Slip Lead Leash, lot's of info ...

Slip Lead leash - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

I do believe I have a clip of Jeff Gellman in there and he covers the Structured Walk thing?? And yes lots of clips with trainers using "prongs" by and large ... not my thing but it's what they use, SLL is as much an Art as a Science but if you get it right you can walk "any" dog with out issue. Principle behind the "Prong" is the same ... "less is more." :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I used to like taking mine to the park and so did he, but there are too many irresponsible owners that make it unsafe for their own and other dogs.

Mine was noticeably timid at 4 months when I brought him home. We also had a very long 6-7 hours trip, I brought him from a different province, and the poor guy wouldn't even walk inside the house. I picked him up and carried in (he was already about 20 pounds.. lol).

Here are a few things that I did with mine:

- only positive experiences and make praises happy and exciting. Like "YES! gOOd gIRL!" in exciting way.

- training. Training together will help your bond grow quicker and stronger, you both will get to know each other very well and hopefully be much better at reading each other. Also, the more your pooch learns, the more confident she will be. Just research trainers and make any learning experience fun:). They love to learn! Just yesterday I started playing the 'hiding ball' game.. lol, not sure what to call it:). I make him sit/stay and go put the ball somewhere where he can spot it reasonably easy and not on the floor. He waits for me. Then I come back and say "go find your ball" and he starts making circles following my path.. so funny! The first time he almost looked straight at it and couldn't find.. haha! Made a few steps away but then came back and found it the second time. What a goof!:) Now he finds it very quick. Slowly I'll be making it more difficult to find ... Ah-Ah-Ha! *evil laughter*.
Sorry about the offtop:)

- one really neat trick I was suggested is to scratch gently right under the chin. It makes them lift their head up which requires confidence. Mine was moving the head away at first and kept looking down. So I was starting from the side, just petting scratchy movement with fingers, and was sneaking in 1-2 scratches under the chin and back out. Just kept doing it every time when I was petting him, and slowly I noticed he didn't attempt to move the head away. Then I started increasing until I saw it starts making him uncomfortable (licking leaks quick, or starts yawning), and kept at lower threshold for a few more days kind of thing. Now I can scratch for a while and his head is up high, tongue on the side, heavy breathing, his little dude (lol!) is out.. ha-ha.
It might help:)

- as far as socializing with people (in addition to what other fine folks in this thread said already), let her be first to come. Especially the timid ones are more cautious if someone comes at them. If the people are your family/friends or acquaintances, ask them to stand still and move the hand out as you come close to them facing down, stand closer to her and walk together towards the person. As you start walking, encourage and be excited about it - it will help her relax more if she sees that you are comfortable and cool about the whole situation. Then let her sniff and when pulls back, now they can pet her. If she is curious about sniffing an object when you walk outside, stop and let her (if you already do that's super! I see many on our walk that the poor pup turns towards an object (you can clearly see it's something interesting) but the owner keeps pulling and yelling at them :(. The more they learn of the environment, the more confident they will be.

Have treats with you and reward LOTS when they come sniff a person and it's a pleasant experience. And reward LOTS for any successful attempt :).

Hopefully some of this helps and good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts