German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking into airline shipping services because a friend of a friend is interested in adopting one of my foster dogs, so I need to arrange transportation for a 30-pound adult dog from Philadelphia to Minneapolis. I've never done this before. I've done plenty of long-distance adoptions (including a prior adoption to Minneapolis, actually), but previously the adopters always drove over to collect their dogs.

I know a lot of people on the board have shipped puppies, and some have shipped adult dogs. If anyone is willing to share specific experiences and recommendations, I would be SUPER grateful.

This will probably happen in mid-June (since I'll need to train and assess the foster pup for a while before I'd feel comfortable sending her off to a new home), so summer heat may be a factor as well. The dog in question is not a short-faced breed, though -- she looks like maybe some kind of spaniel mix.

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Masi came on Continental I was very pleased with their service. I'm sure you can get all information you need either on the airlines site or by calling them

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I shipped a puppy via American. First I went on their shipping site and filled out the form. They responded back with a document that explains all what I need, the estimated cost, and where to bring the dog and when. I had to get an airline carrier from Petsmart (was about $47) and bought the shipping kit which comes with the absorbent pad for the kennel, water dishes, and the right stickers.

I had to have LIVE ANIMAL stickers, another sticker or paper explaining when the dog was last fed and feeding instructions, food, a food and water dish inside the kennel, and absorbent paper. The kit I got came with everything but the food, which I put in a plastic baggy and attached to the carrier's handle. I also got a very simple collar for the puppy and attached a simple leash to the carrier's handle.

From the vet I had to get a health certificate. It was $45.

I brought the dog and carrier, et al to the Airline counter at the time specified on the document they sent me. It was really easy actually. The inspected the kennel, I filled out the form, put the puppy in the kennel and that was that.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks! I appreciate the tips. :)

Liesje, were you able to get the whole shipping kit at PetSmart, or did you have to order that from somewhere else separately?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts