German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Not sure if you have ever heard of lush hand made cosmetics? i had the same issue with my GSD mix she is huge and seems to have a million coats to get thru. I bought a Seanik shampoo bar from lush and went to town. Its so amazing, its got seaweed chunks in it and really gets out the nitty gritty crap and smells. The best thing about seanik is the fact it contains less harsh chems then other stuff on the market and it will leave you dog sparkling clean and ocean fresh smelling...then you can totally use it too :)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Get her used to the water and make it fun. In fact, everything you do with your dog should be fun for the dog. Learning and training doesn't have to be a drag.

Buy a kiddie pool next spring and introduce her to it by you getting in first.

Work up to the bathing part.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Lots and lots of elbow grease, shampoo, water, and patience :) Thankfully I only seem to have to bathe him 2-3x a year (only when he's rolled in something unmentionable or gross :sick:) but it's about a 45 minute process in total and always includes a full bottle of shampoo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's bad in the bath, it does take long so he gets a bit anxious towards the end. I'll try that soap out and see if that works. I use my fingers and scrub it's just like I said I don't feel like I'm getting to his skin. How do y'all feel about dog deodorant ?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you find your dog has a smell beyond the typical doggy smell, maybe consider taking him for a full professional groom?
Thankfully, Shenzi doesn't have a thick coat. Get her wet as a drowned rat and go to town!! Hehe :)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Get her used to the water and make it fun. In fact, everything you do with your dog should be fun for the dog. Learning and training doesn't have to be a drag.

Buy a kiddie pool next spring and introduce her to it by you getting in first.

Work up to the bathing part.

With our new pup....now a year and change....I did exactly that. Bought a cheap kiddie pool and slowly introduced her to the pool last fall. I would throw some of her favorite toys and bones in the water and she loved it. She actually sticks her head under the water to retrieve the ones that sink. She became so fond of water that bathing her in the tub/shower is a snap. I do believe that a thorough soaking of your shepherd is required because their outer coat sheds water rather effectively, so when she gets shampooed I spend a fair amount of time just soaking her down and working the water into her coat with my hands and fingers before using any shampoo.

SuperG

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Go to clean pond. Throw ball. Repeat 10 times.

Sorry I could not resist. I rarely wash. Brushing and the high speed metro blower seem to do enough.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I typically use the massage attachment on the hand held shower head and go against the grain to get the water down to the skin. I give a quick shampoo and rinse, then do a second with extended rinse. The first seems to help knock down that water repellent barrier and the 2nd gets some good suds going.

I rinse, then rinse again and when I think I'm done, I rinse again. I want to make sure all the soap is off so it doesn't irritate the dog or the skin.

I try and use some type of hypoallergenic shampoo or at least get one that doesn't have a lot of perfumes in it. I've used baby shampoo as well. That works pretty good.

Oh, and we bath maybe twice a year unless they get really nasty somehow and/or stink. Brushing usually does the job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My GSD is 1 year old and I can not get her into the bath tub or even use a hose outside to bath her. She loves swimming and water but forget the tub!! I had her professionally groomed at 10 months and they said she did ok there. Do u have any ideas how I can get her into the tub now!?!?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow I'm surprised by how little some wash, I don't know maybe Blue smells more odorous then others. It's not strong just a musk, will brushing and deodorant work then instead of washing once a month? I currently use a oatmeal based organic shampoo.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
My dogs get professionally done once in the winter. In the summer they get tossed off the back of the boat and scrubbed down, then they stand at the front of the boat and get blow dried. Seriously though give seanick a try it really cuts thru the smell.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Basically, I seldom wash my dogs. When they did need frequent baths, I got it down to a science.
1. make sure they have traction on the floor of the tub
2. have lots of towels
3. soap up out of the tub
4. lots of treats handy
5. be prepared to hop in the tub with them. (makes it easier to get them to go in & easier to rinse.)
6. get in tub (already filled with water)
7. call, coax dog in with happy voice & high quality treats
8. if dog wants to jump in and out, let it (I had one that had to make an excited exit at least once a bath)
9. use a quart container to help rinse the dog/s if the tub (I could do two at once)
10. drain tub
11. towel dry dogs
12. release dogs to run through house
13. wipe down bath room (it is now clean too)
14. put towels in washer as soon as you have mopped up the rest of the house
15 take a shower to wash the dog hair off of you and out of the tub....

Keep it positive

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've gotten spoiled by some local wash places, one is Wag'n'Wash, the other is called Smudge. Both have the same set up. A raised wash basin that the dog stands in, and you don't have to bend over. They inject the shampoo into the water hose that has a soft water sprayer at the end, and you can litterally hold the hose end next to the dogs skin and know that the soap is getting all the way down through the oily coat. Then hand scrub your pup to loosen dirt and dead skin, then rinse, then inject conditioner into the water and apply that all the way down to the skin. Then rinse again. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to do Gunnar. He likes the warm water and all the scrubbing.

Yes it costs $15, but the hair is left in their drain, not mine, and the products seem to be high quality. And Gunnar likes the warm water bath rather than the cold hose, which he tolerates, but clearly hates.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Just got back from giving Yoko a bath at Bandits Bathhouse. They have a do-it-yourself area. Yoko absolutely hates baths, but loves, loves, loves the hose and swimming. They have a variety of shampoos available to try. I use a lot of soap to cut through the natural oil in the coat and just use both hands like I am massaging. Then rinse well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts