German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yea' our Shepherd is four months old and as you can expect (and he's yet to even start teething, ha..) he nibbles and sometimes a little bite. It's never been aggressive just more so -playful- as he's never once growled or anything like that. Say if I'm petting around the back of his ears he will turn his head and start nibbling my sleeve and then maybe a little nibble on my hand. If he gets overly excited he might grab your hand, or foot.
As I said it's not been enough to hurt but I know this kind of thing needs to be handled properly so it doesn't become an acceptable habit.

Is the best thing to do just get him a chew toy when he does?
A flick on the nose? I've heard too many opinions from non-GSD owners..

Advice please?

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Whenever he bites, pull your hand back quickly and yelp like a puppy being hurt.
That is how they learn bite inhibition from their littermates.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Honestly- I tried all methods and none of them really worked except lots of other things to chew and time. I froze raw whole carrots which they liked because they fit into those hard to reach back teeth, frozen rags tied in knots, everything I could think of or buy and they seemed to prefer sticks. Time was the best remedy.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Shasta loved it when she made us yelp; it made her even more excited and she would bite more and harder...just like we were giant squeaky toys. Nothing helped with her, either, except time. She was through teething by 5-ish months and the biting really tapered off. She will still try to bite now (mostly with my husband) but she doesn't usually bite hard enough to hurt, like when she was a babe with those little needle teeth.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
You wanted a puppy and thats what puppies do bite. Thats how they play and of course they want to play with you. I have gone to bed many many nights hearing
"NO BITING" NO BITING" echoing in my mind as I try to fall asleep.

There really is nothing you can do except redirect the chewing and say no or ouch but that doesn't work until they learn NO or learn ouch means they hurt you. Be patient and enjoy that beautiful puppy who is just doing what puppies do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts