German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was offered fresh tripe just cut out off cow. Do i need to do anything with it other then wash it out?

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Hi i was offered fresh tripe just cut out off cow. Do i need to do anything with it other then wash it out?
What a treasure! Don't wash it out because you'll be flushing out the best things tripe has to offer. I get the whole tripe too and the butcher just shakes out most of the contents but NO RINSING!
I cut it up in pieces of about a pound each and let them have fun and freeze them in large pieces per meal. It usually takes them a while before they finish it, at least my dogs.
Bon appetit!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, will not rinse it. How big is whole tripe? Never saw whole thing. I will take also liver, kidney, heart, toungh and bones from that cow so now i'm bit worry if all fits in my freezer.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Thanks, will not rinse it. How big is whole tripe? Never saw whole thing. I will take also liver, kidney, heart, toungh and bones from that cow so now i'm bit worry if all fits in my freezer.
I guess it would fit in a ten gallon fish tank. It looks big but it is basically an empty "bag". Lucky you and lucky dogs. I have a special freezer for the raw dog food.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, that should fit, i have dog freezer (smaller than i would like) right now is half full. But i have to take it now, they can not wait. What else you would take from cow for your dog if you have chance? except meat for human, that they will keep.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Lucky you. See if you can get the lung also. My dogs love it. I've actually got 3 freezers now. :)

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
udder, trachea, feet and everything else your dog would eat .......The draw back is that have to handle all that stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts