German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep trying to teach my girl to walk exactly on my sides with the head aligned to my leg, Tried with Treats, prong, voice and clicker all recommended by the trainer, After almost two months, nothing so far.
She doesn’t pull at all and she respond to prong correction and even my voice but she start to go ahead after couple of minutes.
If I let her go she can just be in front of me or with the mid section body on my side which is not good because sometimes she walk sideways and get very close to me, couple of times I step in her paw with my working boots or make me trip, not good for any of both.
I don’t want her to heel just to mark the position for walking, I don’t need her to pay attention to me at this time, just let her enjoy the relaxing walk.
Any Suggestion?
Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
When she starts to forge ahead do an immeidate about turn to the opposite direction and let her self correct on the prong.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
How frequently were you clicking when you used the clicker? At the start, you want to click for every step that she's in position. Take one step and (if she's in position) click/treat. Then another step. Click/treat. Start in a low-distraction area. Once she is getting the hang of it, you can start clicking for two steps. Gradually increase the number of steps she needs to take before she gets the click/treat. As she gets better, vary the number of steps. Sometimes click/treat after 3 steps. Then 1. Then 4. Then 2. Then 5. Etc. Gradually increase the distractions as she starts to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I click when she was in position every 10 steps average,
I will try this right away.
Thanks a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts