German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is a Pure bred GSD. But is passive. He doesn’t bark at strangers nor shows aggression. He keeps playing with people if they come. (I hate guests and I never socialized my dog) yet he is so unguarding. There are a lot of burglars in my area. Please help

·
Registered
33 Posts
Add a couple zeros to that and get a trained protection dog if that's what you want..

Otherwise find a good trainer and work with what you have.

·
Banned
2,016 Posts
Your dog has many strikes against him if you are looking for aggression if he is from the kennel I think he is. Looks like vom Fanino is a Serbian West German show line kennel. Pedigees in and of themselves have zero meaning. It is the dogs in the pedigree, their traits and what they produce. $500 is not what you would pay for a well bred dog. Show line dogs lack the fighting instincts for man work. When you say he is among the better dogs, better at what? Certainly not confident aggression and working ability. Get a new dog after you have learned more about the breed and the different bloodlines.

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
Is this actually a serious topic?
why would you want your dog to be aggressive towards friendly/neutral strangers?

A confident dog doesnt show aggression towards neutral and friendly strangers. A personal protection dog has to be trained!
Lets be sensitive to the OP's culture and perspective from his part of the world. Sharing helpful advice and insight is what is called for.

·
Registered
12,013 Posts
The best (trained) protection dogs are not aggressive to strangers and will take their cues form their handler. Most untrained dogs that bark and are aggressive to strangers are just afraid and have learned that barking and snarling keeps the threat away. They may even hide behind you when feeling threatened. Then there are dogs like yours who could very well surprise(no guarantee here!) you with their protection when you really need it. Example from first hand: a hunting dog 13 years old, never hurt anyone in his life, was walking with his female owner in a park at night. He prevented a possible rape by biting the guy where it hurt most.
In your case I would make sure I have good locks on every window and door and keep your dog with you, day and night. Teach him to bark on command. Call it like "Watch Out!" (you don't want any burglar to hear that you are the one making him bark by saying "Bark!!!!"). Most criminals don't know dogs or dog training. And if they hear a large dog with a deep bark, they probably check in somewhere else. In the mean time enjoy your dog and be safe.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
The best (trained) protection dogs are not aggressive to strangers and will take their cues form their handler. Most untrained dogs that bark and are aggressive to strangers are just afraid and have learned that barking and snarling keeps the threat away. They may even hide behind you when feeling threatened. Then there are dogs like yours who could very well surprise(no guarantee here!) you with their protection when you really need it. Example from first hand: a hunting dog 13 years old, never hurt anyone in his life, was walking with his female owner in a park at night. He prevented a possible rape by biting the guy where it hurt most.
In your case I would make sure I have good locks on every window and door and keep your dog with you, day and night. Teach him to bark on command. Call it like "Watch Out!" (you don't want any burglar to hear that you are the one making him bark by saying "Bark!!!!"). Most criminals don't know dogs or dog training. And if they hear a large dog with a deep bark, they probably check in somewhere else. In the mean time enjoy your dog and be safe.
Where I live, most criminals do know dogs and dog training, more than average dog owners.

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
Folks please no snark or bickering. If you have no FRIENDLY advice and help to offer just move on.

·
Super Moderator
5,570 Posts
your are either helping or not. Let's avoid getting emotional about an otherwise good topic that many owners don't really understand.

A good watch dog is confident and doesn't feel the need to bark at strangers. As posted above you will get that behavior more from a fearful timid dog. Having your dog bark on command or stand confidently at your side can intimidate many trouble makers looking for an easy mark.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
That is the best expected German shepherd response. If you want a protection dog, buy one or go to a trainer for the one you have. I will warn you, there is a good chance the dog you have won’t cut it for protection work. I cannot bash your breeder here, but I would never do business with them.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Yes, somewhere out there on YouTube is a video of a stranger breaking into someone's yard, then into their home. Four different situations, four different dogs, all of them GSDs. In at least one case there are 2 German shepherds. All the dogs do is bark - not one of them attacks!

A dog must be trained to be a true protections dog. The person doing the videos follows this up with a video of a trained dog, who did, of course, attack the intruder.

Have also heard of a woman who bought a German shepherd to protect her against her abusive, threatening ex-husband. The husband broke into her house while she was out one night, and stole a whole bunch of stuff... INCLUDING THE DOG!! 🤣

Some dogs will rise to the occasion, but it's quite rare. The best you can expect is for the dog to bark. If the dog has good nerves, they should stop once the person is let into the house by the owner.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Looking at the OP's question, it sounds like he's really just looking for a dog that bark at strangers, who might be burglars, and he doesn't need the dog to be nice to friends visitors who come over. He didn't say anything about it being a full-fledged protection dog or be able to drop a perp or grab and hold.

So, assuming this is correct, is there a way to make a non-barky dog bark at people who come to your house?

I am actually interested in this because Jupiter does not consistently bark at visitors. He barks at the doorbell and the UPS truck, but not aggressive door-rattling or weird sounds on the windows (I tested him). Personally I'd like him to bark at such sounds because he has a deep, scary bark. I have no particular desire for him to literally attack strangers or beat up burglars.

·
Registered
744 Posts
@CactusWren I think I got lucky with my dog. He has very good instincts. He can usually tell the difference between people who are behaving normally and people who are engaging in unusual behavior.

When a work crew came and buried a fiber optic line along the road in the side yard, he didn't even give them a second glance. He is used to people gardening and working in the yard. On the other hand when the meter reader came for the once-a-year physical reading of the gas and electric meters. He went nuts barking at the stranger next to the house.

I always thank and praise Ole for barking when he gets up after hearing something. If it is something normal I just say, 'Good boy, that is enough', and give him a treat. If it is something weird, I make a big deal about going out and investigating with him at my side. After we have checked it out, I give him lots of praise and some playtime.

I wish I could claim credit... but to be honest, I think I just got lucky.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts