German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to know what material, length of pole, incl. diameter and material of the pole. And the length of the line?
I used a carriage whip but that was only helpful when he was tiny pup. It is too short now.
Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Go to a saddle and tack store and buy a horse lung whip. I think it's around 5' long (the rod). Simply tie a toy to the end of the whip. The whip I bought was maybe $12 and the toy (stuffingless toy) was about the same. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
My personal opinion is that PVC is NOT meant to bend in the way that a flirt pole bends (like a fishing pole). There needs to be some spring to it and asking for the kind of flex a GSD can put on a piece of PVC is asking for trouble (as in- the PVC snapping in your face)

Here's a thread with pics: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/177682-flirt-pole.html

I have not made one nor, introduced one to my dog, I would take this advice as I have no experience, just relaying the info I came across yesterday :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Go to a saddle and tack store and buy a horse lung whip. I think it's around 5' long (the rod). Simply tie a toy to the end of the whip. The whip I bought was maybe $12 and the toy (stuffingless toy) was about the same. Easy peasy.
That is how I made ours, expect I used a ball on a rope instead of a stuffingless toy (Jade's ball drive is off the wall)

Very easy to make a use!

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Get a lunge whip from your local horse or farm store:

Tie a string to the end of the whip and then attach the toy/ball to the other end.

Please be sure to only use WIDE SWEEPING motions. Short, choppy motions can cause a dog to try to turn too fast and blow a cruciate.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
lunge whip. I got mine from the local tack store for 19$. My trainer recommended replacing the line but I just left the line on it and it's long enough. Just tied a toy to it. He recommends switching out to get them use to different bites, but Berlin is training for sport as well. We get the long stuff toys, or I'll put rags on it, or even plastic bottles

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Mine's a PVC pipe with the rope strung through it, caps on both ends like that link says. Electrical tape on top, too... didn't know that was popular! I've had it for years, through many dogs and whole litters of puppies. It's lived outside in the sun. Cost me ~$4 and a fun twenty minutes of work and it's never snapped.

With any version of this toy, though, it's essential to have a reliable OUT. It can be a command or a physical removal, like when I'm playing with litters of puppies. Obviously six week olds in pack mode won't 'out' on command, so we stop and I remove it from their nibbly little mouths. Then its GAME ON! :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts