German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My gsd has recently been smelling bad, not like he has an infection or anything, but just the regular dog smell. I know you can't completely get rid of how he smells, but I gave him a bath and I could notice the scent 2 days later. I've been brushing him daily and I clean his ears and paws and I don't want to give him baths regularly because it can dry out his skin and be bad for his natural oils in his coat. Just looking for tips on how to minimize the smell. Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got two GSDs, one's a 5 year old bitch and one's a 5 month old boy. I love their smell, especially the younger one who still has a little bit of puppy smell! They both roll around in the mud occasionally and I take them to the river for a quick dip, but really their natural smell isn't offensive at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
My dogs never have a strong smell unless they spend a lot of time in damp grass.There are products available that are lightly scented that you can spritz on,give a quick brush through,and voila!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I like the way dogs smell. Some of the itch spray I get for Shadow is scented( natural products like aloe or lavender), but I prefer her natural scent.

·
Registered
31,489 Posts
You can try changing foods. If your dog smells enough to bother you then I would wonder about body oils or yeast. there is a product called Dermoscent Essential 6 that I like. It's for dogs with dry skin but it smells great. You apply it as a topical.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Although I'm not sure how well it works, there is a such a thing as dog cologne. You can get it on Amazon. You could try that.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Could be the food, the ears, anal glands, tartar on teeth. Healthy dogs don't smell bad. If the scent is offending to your nose, bathing and perfumes will only cover up the issue.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I prefer GSDs for many reasons, but one of them is that they are relatively odor free. They don't have that doggy smell that say Labs tend to have no matter how often they are bathed. When my girl has an odor, there is usually a reason. Either the food they are eating, or yeasty infection in ears, on toes, tartar buildup on teeth, etc. If I can address the reason, then I can eliminate the smell. On the other hand, maybe I've become odor blind, LOL.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Smell??? Really?

I‘m NO help on this one.

I’ve got zero experience with odorous German Shepherds.

Just the same, I hope you figure it out and best of luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My two GSDs have a nice, clean dog fur smell.

My female, especially, likes hands on petting and attention when I get home from work, or in the evenings when we wind down. She either keeps her fur especially clean, or is just blessed with good smelling fur. The male still has a little of a puppy smell, but also stays pretty clean.

Could it be a musk gland issue? Or rolling in some foreign substance?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Some of the intact males I have had developed a fairly unpleasant musky odor. Not sure why but it seems to come on with sexual maturity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts