German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

so I noticed yesterday and today our new pup (7 months) has alot of gnats flying around him when outside. Our small yard tends to get them often when it's hot out in South Florida, and I noticed they are very attracted to him. I especially noticed it around his pee-pee area. I felt horrible for the poor guy, not to mention I don't wanna bring that stuff inside.

We just got him couple days ago, so I'm going to wash him (burt's bees oatmeal shampoo) this weekend, but I'm not sure if that's because he's "dirty" and needs a wash, or something gnats like on dogs...

any suggestions to repel gnats? some kind of spray maybe?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
I've never used the products mentioned in this thread, but others seem to like Wondercide.
There are other past threads on Wondercide to research as well.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I use wondercide and it is effective. The only thing I don't like about it is how strong the scent is. I think it bothers his nostrils. I don't like the thought of breathing in the mist and my boy objects to the strength so I spray it on a paper towel and rub his fur with it.

You can also spray it on the pee spot area and it will kill the gnats immediately. I have sprayed it on dive bomber black wasps and watched them drop dead.

Carmen recently posted a link to Kleen Green Naturally Enzymes which I bought and have been using around the house but I'm not positive if you can use it on a dog's body. It kills mites, fleas and I think tics. It definitely kills tiny ants so it should take care of the gnats in the pee zone. I haven't sprayed it on a dive bomber yet. The scent is also milder and easier on the nose.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Wondercide is an expensive product! 25 bucks for a 16 oz spray bottle. Highway robbery?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
You may find after a bath the knats won’t bother him to much. Wondercide is good stuff but strong smell. We live in a heavily wooded area where there are many many deer and feral cats so I use the advantix works for fleas, ticks and mosquitoes, bitting flies, Knatts. The vets carries it one application last a month- it’s not natural though.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Just thought I'd mention (since this dog is new to you) that some do not like "sprays". So the first couple of times you use something, you may want to take Heartandsoul's suggestion of spraying it on a damp paper towel and wiping it on.
Take special notice of wiping (not spraying) any product on head, and ears, so as not to get it in his eyes (could burn).
I also spray products on my hands and wipe the dogs coat and head.

You will know if he has a reaction to sprays when he sees and hears you using the "spray" close by.

BTW......Wondercide is a GREAT product!

Moms :)

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
My vet sells a clear ointment that works GREAT--I can't remember the name of it, I'll have to try and dig it up. We have bad gnats this time of year. Even though my dogs are indoor dogs, just the short amount of time they lay around outside is enough for them to bloody my girl's ears. They do not bother my young male and they never bothered my old male's ears, she for some reason is sweet meat. And once they bloody her ears once it's on and they are attracted to the smell.

Just a very light coating inside her ears and no biting, no blood.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I just bought a little bottle of wondercide to try. I will report back if it does any good for ticks or gnats.

First I have to see if the dogs can stand the smell

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
U can't put the ointment on the fur, so I guess spray it is. Yeah, I will do the spray on papertowel and wipe on his fur method. It says all natural, but who knows... sometimes natural things smell gnarly too.

the initial vet we took him to just before purchase recommended Bravecto for ticks/fleas. I assume these don't to anything to repel flying insects. just if they bite skin, they die correct?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts