German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We go on walks, dog parks (several times a week for 2 hours each trip), swimming, and we play fetch with chuck-it out back in the field.

I *know* she's not supposed to be running, jumping, etc. We cut out frisbee and biking which I'm sure she's not too happy about.

She wants to be so active! She's got lots of energy. Walking just doesn't get it out even though she really likes it like most dogs. Yesterday, I took them outback to play fetch for about 20-30 minutes. She runs like the wind just as fast as she can go with the dysplasia with our Golden getting to the ball most of the time. I usually take two balls out and they each chase one.

Last night, about five hours after the fetch session out back, we went upstairs. She was walking in front of me very slowly. She couldn't lift her back legs up to get up the stairs once she got mid-way. She somehow pulled herself up a few more with her rear legs not doing much. She got two steps away from the top and sat down kinda on her thigh a little bit and waited for me. I went downstairs and got her some carprofen. I don't want her hurting like this being a consequence of daily play, but she's got such a big desire to be active and play. Fetch is her favorite activity. Last night upset me so badly that I actually cried.

Anyway, what do I do to relieve her energy? Walk her constantly? Lots of indoor games - like what? We play find it inside a lot. Swimming is pretty much out as the water is too cold. We took her about two weeks ago and she was shivering and whining because she was cold AND wanted to swim after 10 minutes. Our Golden, oddly, was fine. No shivering at all. Clearly, she really likes strenuous play like most GSD's, but can't handle it.

:confused::help:

Oh, if I posted this in the wrong area feel free to move it. :)

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Keeping her active is good, but maybe cut back on the running. Of course, swimming is the best thing. I have a couple of resources for underwater treadmills in my area, also, but that costs about $40 for a half hour. I used to take my girl to one of those and it helped a lot.

My current dog has arthritis, but she's extremely active and gets sore like yours. I find the usual supplements help a lot. I had gotten lazy and stopped giving them to her, and just recently started up again.

My boy who died, had HD and still wanted to chase that ball! The vet gave me pain killers to use when he had a really bad day. But I know what you mean. Hard to keep those dogs down.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
For Zena our vet told us, active in the summer is okay as long as you cut in half the amount of running. Water therapy. Winter, Zena's activity had to be severly cut down, which lucky for us, she's perfectly fine to be lazy most of the time. When she would start slowing down, for the day, we'd tell her to lay down somewhere, and next thing we'd know she's snoring. i would definitely suggest trying a water therapy though. She'll let you know when she's had enough exercise. The water therapy can actually strengthen her back end enough that if she does have a hard day of running, it wont hurt as much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts