German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jet, our 4.5 yo, has been great so far. We've only had him for a few days but he's done great at the park, at the coffee shop, on drives, hikes etc. But tonight we had some visitors and he seemed very anxious. I put him in his crate and he was fine but when I took him out he kept hiding behind me and seemed upset.

I want him to feel secure but I don't know if too much attention from me is telling him that his anxiousness is ok. Is there a right way to introduce visitors into the house?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
congratulations on the new family member!
paying attention to the fear will only compound the problem. instead of paying attention to it, try to ignore it as long as he does not become agressive to the visitor.
when visitors come over, try not to get yourself upset before hand. when you feel stressed, they feel stressed. try to stay calm, react in the same manner taht you would have, before the dog came into your family. when your family or friends do cme over, have them

1. ignore the dog when they come in to the house.
2. do not make eye contact with him.
3. do not speak to the dog.
4. do not reach out to touch him or pet him. this is how people get bitten. he is new to your household and it will take time for him to get use to you as well as to those who come to visit. he sounds like he has a bit of history or came from a shelter or rescue? it is normal for him to be upset and unsure right now. after all, he doesnt know you either. he has only been with you a few days so he still does not know what will happen with you both.
trust doesnt happen, just because we bring them home. they have no understanding of well, 'i am with these people, they are my new forever family, so i must automatically trust them. " no, that doesnt work that way. i sure wish it did.

try to get him use to you first, gain and build trust between you. work on that before, you get him use to accepting strangers that come over to visit. i would give him a cool down period, personally, to allow him to socialize with you as a family first, then gradually start having company over. its only normal that people want to come to visit the new dog. its much like bringing home a new baby, everyone wants to come to see it, cuddle, etc. they need time to adjust.
while you are getting him use to you, leave his kennel open so he can retreat to it, if he feel s the need. if compnay must come, then allow him to head to the kennel where he feels safe for now. even when he is use to you, give him that option.

never pay attention to the anxiousness, because by babying him or cuddling, etc, you are telling him that he should be this way, that its acceptable and it will increase the issues. for the next week, go about your daily routine, ensure he has food, water etc, but allow him to relax, come to you when he wants too, dont force anything on him. take it one step at a time. one day at a time.

he will come around fast if you use these ideas.
good luck and congrats again.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Have the visitors bring very special treats and have them toss them to the dog. I'd use hotdogs, cheese or the sausage from Natural Balance (it's suppose to smell irresistable!). Should the dog eventually walk up to them for some petting (or more treats), don't let them pet from above (like the head), but only from underneath (chest area).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Bearlasmom and Maedchen! All of these are great recommendations and I will follow them.

I've told people that he's getting used to us right now but I guess some people couldn't wait so they just came by.

Next time this happens I'll have them ignore him and if Jet approaches them, I'll make sure their ready with some chicken jerky! (his favorite so far...)

Thanks to you both again!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
you are very welcom, how is he doing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts