German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is getting an 8 week old English Mastiff in 3 weeks. We both want Stella and the pup to get to know each other. How is the best way to do this?

Some Stella history-Stella has been dog reactive (still working on it), but has not ever tried to bite another dog. It is fear/nervousness based reactivity. She loves to play with dogs she knows and has made play overtures to strange dogs when she feels comfortable. She has come a long way and can be near other dogs in class and depending on the circumstances, elsewhere.

I am sure there has to be a safe way to do this. My Newfie mix, who WILL bite another dog, managed to accept Stella when we got her as a pup. This situation is a little different as Stella and the pup aren't living in the same household. I have looked things up on line but mostly find articles on introducing a pup to your own household.

My son just had to PTS his pit due to aggressiveness and really wants to have a dog without any issues like that. I don't want Stella to cause any problems for his new pup either, but would love for them to be friends....

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Really want to do this right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure you socialize them very often and at a very young age. When they show the first type of aggressiveness towards another that was uncalled for, make sure you stop it immediately. She should understand your uh uh cues and learn that it is not okay. After doing this numerous times, your new pup will be the friendliest dog in the world even if its a bully breed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I can only tell you what I do when I intro a puppy into the pack..all puppies I've brought in, I've always had 3 or 4 existing adult dogs.

I usually bring the puppy into my backyard to check things out alone..After a bit, I'll sit with the puppy in my lap and have my husband let the 'monsters' out:) Mine are usually to busy wanting to 'play', with a frisbee, ball whatever, to pay much attention at first..BUT they all do come over check out puppy on my lap, after awhile when I figure things have calmed down, I'll put the puppy down, obviously supervising..

This works for me, but obviously can't say whether it will work for others:)

I would have your son exposing his puppy to stella as much as possible, daily basis if you can..walk together, etc..the more exposure to each other, the better they'll just accept each other for the future.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stella's nosework trainer suggested that the puppy be in a crate or pen for Stella to check out. And of course as soon as any there is any snarky behavior, it is time for Stella to leave and try again later. Of course lots of positive reinforcement if Stella is being appropriate.

My son is very very concerned about not having his dog have any bad experiences while his is young. He wants a dog that is comfortable with people and other dogs. He just had to PTS his ha/da pit bull. He really does not want to go through that again, understandably so. And he wants Stella and "Capone" to be friends but is nervous that Stella will be aggressive with the pup.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
If there is true concern that Stella will be aggressive with the puppy, they should not interact. Sorry. But if your son had to put down a dog with aggression issues, then he is going to want to be uber careful with his new puppy. English Mastiffs are HUGE. If they have aggression issues, it's a ginormous deal.

My suggestion is meeting in neutral territory, having no interaction, just each seeing each other across the way. Slowly get them closer, but not so close that Stella reacts.

One should be crated while the other is free in the house. Until each is calm at seeing the other dog. Then go on walks together, not allowing interaction. Just walking.

Your son needs to get his puppy into classes and socialize with other friendly, calm dogs and not rely on your dogs for socialization.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I need to clarify....Stella is not aggressive....she is fear reactive. She can be with other dogs once she gets to know them.

I am not worried about Stella hurting the puppy. I don't plan on them being loose with each other for quite a while. I just want her to get used to this dog as they will have a lot of opportunities to be together.

Both my son and I want this to work. I was able to bring Stella into my household at 11 weeks with my then 8 yr old dog aggressive newfie mix. And that was Stella joining my household. This will be a dog not living here, but at my son's house.

Would it be better if my son was holding the puppy first intro? Make it like no big deal. Oh look, there's Capone. Here's a bunch of filet mignon for you Stella. Ok have a sniff at Capone. Now let's go do something else....?????

Or have puppy in crate. Let Stella sniff and check it out. If she shows signs of getting ready to react then it's time to go.....????

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
The crate idea is a good one, I also like the idea of meeting up with your son, obviously stella knows him:) have him pay some attention to stella, then bring puppy out of car, take a walk..Or if he's crating the puppy IN the car, let stella check him out that way..

I'm laughing at your filet mignon idea LOL..

Sometimes adult dogs surprise us, when we think they won't like a puppy, they totally do the opposite of what we 'think' they are going to do..

When I intro, "I" am the one that is holding new puppy, maybe 'you' could try that route as well..

I don't think you'll be able to tell what the heck will happen until ya do it.

Good luck, keep us updated on how it goes!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on Stella and puppy

Stella met my son's 8 week old English Mastiff today. She really did well. A lot of sniffing at first, then trying to engage "Capone" in play. Of course she is a bit too big to be playing with him right now. It was funny watching her try to engage him in a game of "keep away". He tried his best to run after her, but those little wobbly puppy legs just couldn't do it...lol. She even tolerated him biting her tail. She just turned around and gave him an "Are you kidding me?" look.
I hope they become good buddies! And am so glad it went well today. Whew!!! 321451_10151621721961894_979216727_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Adorable! I remember your other post. And I'm glad your son went with the Mastiff. I wish him the best of luck. We put down our three year old pit mastiff mix named Capone a few months ago because of severe health issues. So the name struck a chord with me.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Adorable! I remember your other post. And I'm glad your son went with the Mastiff. I wish him the best of luck. We put down our three year old pit mastiff mix named Capone a few months ago because of severe health issues. So the name struck a chord with me.

So sorry about your Capone. It is never an easy thing to do.

Your post about an EM is what got my son looking into them! I don't think that breed would have crossed his mind otherwise. :D

His Capone is sooooo cute. I bet he will grow fast and be able to play with Stella in no time. After doing some reading about EMs, I think this was a good choice for him and his family!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
So sorry about your Capone. It is never an easy thing to do.

Your post about an EM is what got my son looking into them! I don't think that breed would have crossed his mind otherwise. :D

His Capone is sooooo cute. I bet he will grow fast and be able to play with Stella in no time. After doing some reading about EMs, I think this was a good choice for him and his family!
Yey! I'm so glad. He'll be bigger than Stella in no time lol enjoy his tiny puppy stage :) & thank u <3

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Capone22- you are sooooo right about how big this puppy will be. He is about 3 1/2 months and almost stands as tall as Stella. They both play off leash together now.... Capone can easily handle Stella's rough play style. I wonder what Stella will think in a few months when Capone is bigger that her!?!?!:eek:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That's funny! We just got a cane corso puppy. She is almost 20 pounds at 10 weeks. Rogue is like 55 max. She will tower over rogue in no time! Which is good because rogue plays rough. Post some pics!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Capone 3 1/2 months, Stella 2 years....good buds.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts