German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you probably read from my previous post, yesterday my family said goodbye to our boxer MAK.

MAK's death has effected Ammo more than I ever thought it would. Today I gave Ammo MAK's old bed, I put it in his crate. All he wants to do now is lay down in his crate. When I take him outside all he does is lay by the door waiting for me to open it and let him back in. He doesn't want to play or anything.

What should I do to help him move past the passing of MAK? Should I just give him time?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
30,892 Posts
It takes time. They grieve just like we do. I would make an effort to play with him more, walk him, spend more time with him. Give him a few weeks to adjust.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've never Had to deal with a situation similar to this but it does break my heart to read it and understand and see that a dog can have emotions just like we do which I completely understand and agree that they do. The best thing. In my opinion is just to give him time give him lots of love and snuggle time in the bed and couch talk about Mak saying his name to him im sure this tragedy will strengthen the bond between the two of you . Try to help him understand that you're in his same position and you feel just a sad. I'm not expert by any means I just try my hardest I connect with my pups.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It does take time. I'm going through the same thing with my 11 y.o. girl and it's been about 2 1/2 months since we lost our GSD. They have lost their pack mate and its rough. Ammo might enjoy some special treats, a few bites of canned food with his usual, some extra attention. I find that a combination of the usual routine, plus maybe something new...perhaps something that Mak may have been unable to do, can be helpful. He'll be ok, but he will grieve, just as we do.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yes, it will take a while. When an ex boyfriend's Jack Russell died a few years back, Lillian spent the next several weeks taking all the toys out to his grave and burying them in a shallow hole above where rested, and then she would lie down on top of them until we called her in and distracted her. It was painful to watch, but she did eventually recover.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When he is in the house he is either looking for MAK or wanting back in his crate. :( It just makes me so sad. He will go lay down where MAK used to sleep and whine, then he gets up and starts looking again.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
It will be tough, but ammo will come around. Give ammo as much attention as you can. I am not sure if it is harder on the pack mates or harder on us watching them look around for them.

·
Registered
595 Posts
This is heartbreaking. I'm sure he(and you) will get over his grief in time. I hope it's relatively sooner.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
so sad:( I think it's harder on dogs when there is only one left.

My 2 girls (aussie & gsd) were very close to my senior male gsd, when he passed, they both would look for him.

He also had a special bed, the two girls would NOT lay on that bed for atleast a month, I don't know if they thought he was coming back or what:(

Hope Ammo cheers up soon, and so sorry for your loss of Mak

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Poor Ammo. I know the ferrets had a rough time loosing Metro. Ferrets are notorious for "depression death" and since the loss of metro I've been fighting like mad to stabilize my females blood sugar (she has insulinoma). They just need to grieve.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
When I rescued my lab I had my female samoyed mix. She was the only dog for a few years, but her and the lab got along really well. I knew the end was coming for the lab and I went and got my golden puppy. All three got along great and my lab was around until the golden was about 4 months old. It was a real smooth transition and I didn't notice any sadness. They were to busy with each other, so it made it easier for me really. I would probably do the same thing all over again, because it worked out so well. I'm not saying that everyone should run out and get another dog for the dog that is still around, but that is pretty much what I did and it worked well for me.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I rescued my lab I had my female samoyed mix. She was the only dog for a few years, but her and the lab got along really well. I knew the end was coming for the lab and I went and got my golden puppy. All three got along great and my lab was around until the golden was about 4 months old. It was a real smooth transition and I didn't notice any sadness. They were to busy with each other, so it made it easier for me really. I would probably do the same thing all over again, because it worked out so well. I'm not saying that everyone should run out and get another dog for the dog that is still around, but that is pretty much what I did and it worked well for me.
This may sound really bad but that was the main reason we got Ammo. So the family would still have a pet when MAK was gone. I never thought about how Ammo would react to MAK being gone. Now I feel bad for putting Ammo through this. If we weren't getting ready to move I would go get Ammo a new buddy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts