German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday I was walking Benny on our bike path and two men and a woman in designer jogging clothes came up from behind us. They continued running side by side so there was not much room for Benny and I to move over, but we allowed them as much space as possible. As they passed Benny lunged as if he wanted to chase them and knowing this can startle people I quickly said "It's OK he is friendy and just a puppy" One of the men looked back and said " Friendly my A** and that's no puppy. He is at least 3 years old!" I just wrote them off as arrogant and stupid.

This morning the same two men, but without the women came jogging toward us, Benny did not react at all because he saw them coming and he seems to only want to chase things that run ahead of us. This time as they past one of them men said to me "We have a stun gun!"
I was taken aback and could not think of a good comeback, which was probably good because I was wearing one of my Church work shirts that has a Bible Verse and what I would have said would not have been very Christian.

I get that some people do not ike dogs, but If I see them again I am going to offer to have my dog teach them some manners! if they ever pull out a stun gun or even a water gun I am calling the cops!

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
WOW,
I like my little hick state of NH.I haven't run across nearly as many idiots as all you in the western states.I just get the little old ladies cowering behind there weenie spouses when we come near them...:)I don't think one person has ever had a mean statement about my dog.Except the mail lady who won't deliver to our door anymore in fear the dog may come out from no where and attack...

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Ignore it.
Though, I'd say, "Sad that you need to threaten us with a stun gun for a baby dog..."

"Is a puppy really that terrifying to you?"

"Must be compensating for something, if you feel the need to threaten a lady and her puppy with a stud gun.."

But I tend to be sarcastic.

Though that could start an argument, so best to say something like:
"Good for you :thumbup: "
or just plain "Indeed."

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd handle it by reporting to the local authorities that 2 men threatened you with a stun gun. buts that just me

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
If I was a jogger and a dog lunged at me as I went by, I would be pissed too. They should not have to worry if your dog is friendly or not. If you know your dog is doing this, you need to get off the path and down your dog before their arrival so you have complete control. Letting your dog get away with this now, can very easily lead to a dog that will lunge and bite later.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'd have likely said "how kinky, you two don't hurt yourselves".. or something snarky like that.

Don't let it bug you.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Arg... I feel your fustration, I get that with Stark all the time.

"That's no puppy!" or "Yeah, okay, big puppy!" in a sacrastic tone.

I prolly would have done the same thing as you, just kept going after I explained that he was a puppy.

Some people are morons and unfortunately we have to share this planet with them.. lol.

·
Registered
782 Posts
What a bunch of babies!
If someone stun-guned my dog...there would be a brawl I can tell you that much.
Just ignore them........

seriously!!! my mouth hung open when i read that they said that!!! I would go ape$#@! on someone for even threatening to taze my dog!!!!

maybe carry a stick...and toss it in front of them as they jog by next time? ;) seriously though. I dont know wtf is wrong with some people. I hate ignorant @holes like that!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I was a jogger and a dog lunged at me as I went by, I would be pissed too. They should not have to worry if your dog is friendly or not. If you know your dog is doing this, you need to get off the path and down your dog before their arrival so you have complete control. Letting your dog get away with this now, can very easily lead to a dog that will lunge and bite later.
Elaine, I did move over as much as possible, All three were running side by side so they did not leave me much room. Benny did start to lunge, ( no growling or even a bark, He just got excited and wanted to chase) but I stopped him in mod lunge and has him fully under control. I know lunging is scary and that is why I tried to reassure them. i feel like they could have at least gone single file as they passed us so I would have had more room to move Benny out of their way.

I am working with Benny not to do this, but at 10 months he sometimes gets over excited .

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I've heard that about Otto too when I say he's very young. Just becuase they have the money for the expensive track suit doens't mean they have the money to buy a brain.

Were it me, I'd have put my dog in a sit and waited for them to run past. Then I'd have gotten in my truck and looked for a mudpuddle to drive through just as they're running by. Cuz I'm an a-hole like that.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't think Benny should be lunging
after people or other animals even though it's play.
you know Benny lounges, contain him.

so now you see them again. you should be glad they
told you they have a stun gun. what are you going to tell
the police, "my dog lunged at these people and he shot
my dog with a stun gun". i don't know, who wins that
argument especially if it's the 2nd time Benny did it.

you said if you see them again you're going to have
Benny teach them some manners. what are you going to
do?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was taken aback and could not think of a good comeback, which was probably good because I was wearing one of my Church work shirts that has a Bible Verse and what I would have said would not have been very Christian.

I know the feeling. I gave someone a dirty look in the grocery store parking lot the other day when they were honking at me. I thought they were honking for me to get out of the way. I turned, gave them a snarl and was getting ready to flip the bird when I saw it was someone from my church. Bad days bring out the best in us... LOL

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Not playing the devil's advocate, but 10 month old GSDs do look like dogs to the unenlightened.

And their friendly, chase that which runs to play with it, does not always look like the dog means no harm.

It is good that you are socializing your dog to these things, but I think that instead of just taking it as extreme rudeness, you should probably take it a practice. Because as Benny gets even bigger, fuller, older, people will continue to give him the eye, especially if he lunges "playfully."

I understand your pain. I was with Rushie who was mostly black at the time and four months old, and some yayhoo yelled across the parking lot asking if he bites.

I said "He's a puppy." The guy yelled over for me to keep him away from him. When I mentioned that on this sight (Rush just turned four so nearly four years ago), everyone told me what a zero I was for not understanding that some people have a phobia.

And Rush never got the chance to lunge playfully or anything.

Hopefully, your boy will stop the lunging at people who are moving away from him, until he does, expect people to be rude. They are probably on their joggers site keying away about the nasty GSD that was trying to eat them and how they are packing a stun gun now.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Two words for you...bring mace!! Unfortunately people suck, but having your dog stunned could really ruin future nice walks. If you see them again I would say I have mace.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts