German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question here about something that happened and I am not sure if I am over reacting about this or not.

I was a pet food store the other day and the employee there offered Chance a treat. Which is okay with me, but please ask me first instead of just grabbing one to give him?
That was my first annoyance. What if for any reason he had a known allergy to some ingredient and I had to be careful what he is fed?

My second annoyance and a bit moreso with getting ticked, was when the person who was waving this treat in front of his nose commanded him to sit first.

Am I incorrect with allowing a STRANGER to "train" my dog?

My thought with this is, I really do not want him listening to instructions from a complete stranger. I can see the burglar now,
"Sit! Down! STAY!" as he helps himself to my jewelry...

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I would also be very upset about a stranger feeding my dog without asking first. A friend of mine has had the very problem you mentioned, her dog has severe grain allergies and there have been times someone at a dog park gave him a biscuit and then he spent the rest of the day vomiting. I do not allow strangers to treat my dog, and if they ask at the pet store I ask what kind of treats they are first and if I'm not familiar with them I say no.

As for the training... I also wouldn't appreciate a stranger trying to train my dog. But I don't think you should be concerned about him obeying commands from a burglar. He would either protect you/your house or not, and being obedient to friendly strangers won't really influence that. I'm very proud of my dogs for obeying simple commands from strangers, and its useful and important during times when I am away or something is happening at the vet.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As for the training... I also wouldn't appreciate a stranger trying to train my dog. But I don't think you should be concerned about him obeying commands from a burglar. He would either protect you/your house or not, and being obedient to friendly strangers won't really influence that. I'm very proud of my dogs for obeying simple commands from strangers, and its useful and important during times when I am away or something is happening at the vet.
good point about the vet.
I just found it very rude all the way around. It raised the hairs on my neck when he started commanding my dog. Nervy.

He even started to push down on his rump to make him sit. I noticed that Chance's expression changed for a moment, like he didn't like that touch at all. That is when I jumped in explaining that is not how he is being trained by me, so please just give him the treat as the socialization was more important to me than whether he sat or not.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
I think we all need to be advocates for our dogs, especially out in public.. Don't be a afraid to speak up and tell people to back off.. We all have a voice and need to be proactive!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I would have stepped in as well. That was out of place and the employee should have never done that! They have no idea how you train, and its not their place to interfere. Many dogs aren't trained in english, so sit wouldn't mean anything to them. Many respond to only hand signals. My dog Tessa is my service dog, and I'm hoping Emma will be my next SD when Tessa must retire. I NEVER press on her shoulders if she hesitates for a down or comes back up from a down stay, even though its standard practice for many. Because I use my SD as a brace, pressing on the shoulders and I do NOT want the dog to lay down or buckle to the pressure.

He was completely out of line.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I've never really had anyone try that on one of my dogs..The stores I go into, petco/petsmart, all have always asked first "can she have a treat?",,if I say YES, I also add, tell her to sit first and they comply:)

I tend to notice ALOT of people (strangers) who do this type of thing (like with chance),,have a preconceived notion that they are a friendly looking dog so it's no big deal to push themselves onto a dog like that.

Masi isn't the friendliest looking dawg:) so maybe that's why people ASK first or avoid her all together LOL..

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I think some of us need to lighten up. I'm sure the person's intentions were good. No wonder we have such a litigious society, everybody's so quickly offended by the slightest thing.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I absolutely do not let strangers give my dogs treats that I do not provide. Sometimes we stand in front of the grocery store and I pick certain friendly looking people to treat my dogs with my treats. I do not let strangers walk up and give them commands at all. If we are in class others in class may do so to help out if I am away from the mat for minute but my dogs know those people and so do I and we are in the same training class. I most certainly would not let anyone come and put pressure on Raina as she would probably bite them. I have told people "Do not approach my dog." before - drunk obnoxious guy at the store. We have to be our dogs advocates. You never know what that "friendly" stranger may think it's okay to feed a dog.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think some of us need to lighten up. I'm sure the person's intentions were good. No wonder we have such a litigious society, everybody's so quickly offended by the slightest thing.
Lighten up yourself please.
I knew he wasn't trying to be mean, but it was still rude. Nice intentions or not.
You're right about the litigious society. What if Chance turned and bit him for pushing down on his hips? Something tells me that the person would have gone to sue me.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Was this a pet store where they offer training classes? Maybe the employee just did what, to him, was a natural thing. Personally, I've never had anyone attempt to correct my dogs at a public setting (although many, many people ask to pet them). In MHO, maybe the employee overstepped into your personal boundaries, but it certainly doesn't seem like it was done with any negative intent or consequences. Let it go, and tuck the experience into your memory data file. I, like Lin, don't mind my dog being polite and responsive to friendly strangers. Knowing she will retain her manners around strangers is a good feeling for me.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was this a pet store where they offer training classes? Maybe the employee just did what, to him, was a natural thing. Personally, I've never had anyone attempt to correct my dogs at a public setting (although many, many people ask to pet them). In MHO, maybe the employee overstepped into your personal boundaries, but it certainly doesn't seem like it was done with any negative intent or consequences. Let it go, and tuck the experience into your memory data file. I, like Lin, don't mind my dog being polite and responsive to friendly strangers. Knowing she will retain her manners around strangers is a good feeling for me.
No, privately owned small place.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I don't mind treats, and it doesn't have to be some fancy grain free brand for me to let them have an occasional treat at a petstore....they've also always asked me at both petsmart and petco. Never had someone just give them one.

I also don't mind if they tell them to "sit" prior to feeding it, but I wouldn't let them touch them to "make" them sit. Mine also don't sit with a butt press.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't mind treats, and it doesn't have to be some fancy grain free brand for me to let them have an occasional treat at a petstore....they've also always asked me at both petsmart and petco. Never had someone just give them one.

I also don't mind if they tell them to "sit" prior to feeding it, but I wouldn't let them touch them to "make" them sit. Mine also don't sit with a butt press.
I think it was the way he was overall in his demeanor acting like "Lord of the animals"
It wasn't even a friendly command in my opinion, it was "SiiiiiiiiT!" With the tone going up at the end and loud. Since Chance didn't sit fast enough for the guy, he reached around and started pushing his rump down. I saw Chance's face change and his head start to turn towards the area the guy was pushing. I took it that Chance didn't like it, so I REALLY had an issue then and stepped in.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Yeah, giving my dog a treat without my permission or touching him without my permission are both big no-nos. I'll politely but very firmly tell people that doesn't fly.

My dogs don't have to follow orders from people they don't know. I'll tell people that too.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I have to say I tend to agree with this. It's not like they were a dog terrorist and intent on seriously injuring your dog...

Sure it's nice if people ask (people should ask) to pet/feed my dog. But when I take them out in crowds and in the public is that something that will always happen? Not so much.

GENERALLY, I think with my GSD's it happens more, people do ask. But not always. This is why I super socialize my dogs so they aren't going to be worried by these sudden pets/pats in their lives.

Frankly, it's a compliment when they ask my dogs to sit. It's an acknowledgement that they think I've got some training on my dogs. And, frankly, my dogs don't usually get 'free' treats anyways so a 'sit' is the least they are expected to do.

The other thing is I feel I am out in public with my dog to help educate people about the breed and proper training. So while I also would have been a bit stunned if someone reached down to push my dog's behind down, THAT I would have been HAPPILY AND CHEERFULLY ABLE TO RESPOND TO! We don't have to get mad just cause people are ignorant. They really really don't 'know'. I'd have quickly been able to pull my dog back to me with the leash (happy happy FOR THE DOG, don't want them to start freaking out from strangers cause I have inappropriately freaked out myself) and shown that my dog can sit fast she's just not used to doing it for new people (though my dogs 100% are) and best way to show her is to be patient not to push....

Much better to leave an incident like this with the 'stranger' less likely to do this to the NEXT dog he meets. Then leave him all pissed off cause I went off on him (not saying you did). Or (this is the worst of all things) for my dog to have picked up I was upset and now start to act unreliably with out in public. I certainly don't need that. I'm there to give calm guidance and leadership.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Of course things are gonna happen in public places and of course our dogs should be able to handle it or respond appropriately.. But sometimes we do need to ask ourselves just how much are our dogs supposed to take or put up with?

Still think we need to be advocates for our dogs!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is great with this forum are the different opinions getting everyone's takes on how they would be/feel.
I guess I am a little protective right now as the boy is shooting hot chocolate from his rump due to worms, has only had 1 week experience in his life of being in a house, being loved and cared for.
If I didn't want people near him I would not have brought him into the store to begin with. I do want socialization, and THAT for me is the number 1 priority.

I was nice to the guy in my response in regards to his pushing down on my boy's behind. I didn't like it though, and from Chance's reaction, neither did he.

However, who in the heck wrote the book saying that the dog HAS to perform something everytime he gets a treat?

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
I was nice to the guy in my response in regards to his pushing down on my boy's behind.
Exactly!

When I tell people I don't want them interacting with my dogs or not to give them treats, I'm not nasty about it either.. Unless the people just don't get it and then I may switch gears..

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Dharma has been socialized from the moment I brought her home but she still doesn't like strangers touching her. She prefers to approach them first. And she normally won't take a treat from anyone at Petsmart. She just doesn't for some reason. Maybe it's because they are strangers, so that would not have gone well had someone tried that with her. I doubt she would have bitten but she would have made enough noise that the guy would have backed off real fast. I doubt I would have had time to tell him off. She would have done it for me.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts