German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I eventually want to do Obedience with Lola. She's 9 weeks old now so I know I have a ways to go, but is there anything I should get started with her now?

We've mostly been working on engagement, but she knows Sit, Down, Come and Spin. Should i add something in, or just keep working on perfecting those?

Also, what's the difference between Fronts and Sit? I was watching some of the Bridget Carlsen videos (Group 1- Behind the scenes) and was a little confused.

Anyone know if you can buy the video's instead of renting them for 4 days?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like she has a great start! Engagement is really important and if you work more on any one thing, it should be that. You can start teaching heeling right away too since it is usually a big part of obedience trials. Just remember to keep everything fun for her.

Front is where the dog is in the sit position directly in front of and facing the handler straight on after a recall or dumbbell retrieve.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Personally I wouldn't worry about nailing precision with a 9-week-old puppy. At this point my focus would be more on developing foundational behaviors/fluencies, attention/engagement, and tricks.

Is this the first dog you've trained for competition? If so, I'd definitely go for foundations and tricks rather than formal obedience behaviors.

Pongu was/is my first dog, and what I found was that the trick training made me a much better trainer and did a lot to develop his love of work (not to mention his rear-end awareness and coordination), so that paid off hugely in the long run, but my early efforts at installing formal competition behaviors mostly sucked because I didn't know what I was doing when I taught those. I had to go back and re-teach a lot of that stuff from the beginning once I knew what they were actually supposed to look like. It ended up being a lot of wasted effort and confusion for my dog.

·
Registered
712 Posts
A good place to rent DVDs is bowwowflix.com. It's like netflix, only for dog training. It's a set monthly fee, and you can keep them as long as you want.

As for other stuff to teach her, "give your paw" can be useful for nail trimming.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts