German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
397 Posts
will the first frost kill the virus in the the yard?

no... it is a pain in the rear to get rid of. Extreme heat or cold do not kill it. I live in Arizona and it is RAMPANT here. Its horrible. You need to spray your entire yard down with a mixture of bleach and water. You will kill all of your grass etc... Its awful. I would not bring another puppy into the house period. An older dog whom is up to date on all vaccinations will be or should be fine. I cant stress how important it is to bleach everything you possibly can.

· Registered
397 Posts
From what I've read, the parvo virus lives indoors for about 1 month but lives outdoors in the shade for 6-8 mos, in the sun for 6 mos. Rain, frost, heat, freezing do not kill it, in fact, a freeze will put it in a dormant state and warm temps will thaw it out and it can reinfect. Best to spray with the bleach/water mixture, wait some months, get a dog that's been fully vaccinated- it takes 2-4 weeks for a pup to be completely protected

Its such a withstanding disease, it freaks me out. They have actually done soil tests and it showed that it was able to withstand extreme heat and extreme cold for up to 12 months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.