German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to get my dogs started on the treadmill. Odin, the 13 week old GSD will get on and walk on it if I hold him and a treat in front of him, but once I let him go, he stops walking. Buddy, my 11 month old boxer/pit just barks at it, but he will walk on it if I hold him too. He's pretty scared of it, and will try to eat it. LOL.

So, what should I do guys? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
53 Posts
My trainer taught Roscoe how to walk on. First she had him get up and down it while on a leash and make him stand in place on it. The she had a small leash attached to the treadmill to help hold him in place, standing at his side, and started it at the slowest speed she ran it for like a minute then stopped it. She made him stay on it for like 3 minutes after it was stopped then when he was calm let him off. She repeated this like 4 times...by the fifth time he was excited to get on it. Now he loves treadmills. He is funny, when we go to petsmart or the vets he jumps on the scale thinking it's a treadmill and looks at me like "hey why isnt this moving". the treadmill is awsome on nasty days like rain or extreme cold.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Since he'll already do it, I won't get into introducing him to it. Squat down in front of the treadmill and loop his leash over the top bar so that you have some control. By being in front of him, you should be able to simultaneously keep him centered and on (with the leash) and focused on moving forward by coaxing and encouraging him. We did that with mine just a very few times and he has it down pat now, no leash, just loves it.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Also, I noticed that Max stays more focused if the speed is set to a fairly fast trot, not a walk and not a run.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I tried to get my dog to use the treadmill, and it worked for about 5 seconds until he realized he didn't like the ground moving beneath him and he put the brakes on; so it was either get off the treadmill or let the ground skid across the pads of his feet. I opted to let him off, he's a good runner when we're outside of the house.

But then again, I don't HAVE to drain his energy, he's perfectly content with me allowing him to sleep all day long sometimes.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Should a 13 week old puppy be on a treadmill?

Rottie people make me :) Treadmill For Puppies? - Rottweiler Discussion Forums

I would talk to a veterinary rehab type place before doing that with dogs under 18 months - 2 years.

Oh crap - old thread, spammer! Got it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts