German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She knows everything from sit to roll over, but she just will not come to me! She will whenever we are in the house(alone without distractions like cat, or other people) but not when we are in public or the backyard. I've tried using chicken and a different command word but she just would rather play than come. oh and if she gets in the front yard she will take off running to my neighbors house to play with their dog and takes forever to catch her. Any suggestions? She's 6 months, and she gives me that look like she knows what I'm saying but she loves a good game of a chase.

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
What we did to work on training for recall was use the tennis courts at our local junior high. There are two courts fully fenced so we had Max contained during training. We positioned on either side of the court and called Max back and forth with treats in hand. Gradually moved form that model and were soon able to trust him off leash outside the fence. I still would not be sure he would come back if he saw a rabbit or squirrel, but we're working on that.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It's so hard to get a consistent recall. We can never let Minnie off leash in unsecured areas because, while she comes ~80% of the time, that 20% is too much of a hazard. Our trainer told us one thing not to do is to call them to you when you don't have control (leash) until they have a super reliable recall. You don't want to give them the option not to come. Easier said than done!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts